House Cleaning: Brackenridge, Allen among surprising Riders cuts
REGINA — It hasn’t taken Chris Jones long to make his mark on the Saskatchewan Roughriders. One week after being hired as the team’s VP of Football Operations, GM and head coach, Jones and the Riders parted ways with mainstays S Tyron Brackenridge, RB Anthony Allen, DB Macho Harris and DB Terrell Maze. Brackenridge, Allen and Maze were scheduled to become free agents in February.
The team also announced the release of:
• International defensive back Weldon Brown
• International defensive back Marshay Green
• National linebacker Nathan Kanya
• National defensive back Hugo Lopez
• National fullback Scott McHenry
• International defensive back Junior Mertile
• National linebacker Kyle Norris
• International receiver Jamel Richardson
• International defensive lineman Cameron Sheffield
• International quarterback Blake Sims
• International receiver Taj Smith
• International running back Chad Spann
• International defensive back Alex Suber
• International defensive lineman Derek Walker
• National linebacker Ryan Wellman
Brackenridge was perhaps the most surprising of all after the former Division and League All-Star spent four seasons with the Green and White. The starting safety accumulated 167 defensive tackles, forced 9 fumbles and picked off 7 passes while helping the Riders capture a Grey Cup in 2013.
Allen has split time with a cast of tailbacks since joining the team in 2014. In two seasons, Allen carried the ball 261 times for 1,504 yards and 8 touchdowns. He also added 314 yards and 3 majors out of the backfield.