Bratton, McPherson, Guy released by Alouettes | CFL.ca | Official Site of the Canadian Football League

CFL.ca

MONTREAL -- With free agency just over two weeks away, the Montreal Alouettes have decided to give a trio of players a bit of a head start.

Friday, the Als announced that they have released QB Adrian McPherson, receiver Brian Bratton and kick returner Trent Guy.

McPherson and Bratton were slated to become free agents on Feb. 15.

The release of McPherson ends months of speculation of whether or not the five-year veteran would enter free agency.

It was expected that the 29-year-old pivot would leave the Alouettes after perennial starter Anthony Calvillo announced that he’d be returning under centre in Montreal for another two seasons.

In five years with the Als, McPherson has thrown 243 passes for 1,505 yards, 10 touchdowns and six interceptions. The Florida State product is also effective on the ground, as he’s registered 1,035 rushing yards and nine majors on 41 attempts.

However, having never thrown more than 49 passes in a season, McPherson still remains to be a relatively unproven commodity.

Should he be signed by another team, expect him to compete for the starting job behind centre.

Bratton, meanwhile, is coming off an up-and-down year with the Alouettes.

The 30-year-old receiver appeared 13 games for the Als in 2012, as his season was interrupted by a knee injury that he suffered in a Week 12 matchup with the Roughriders.

However, Bratton was effective when healthy, compiling 469 yards and four touchdowns on 28 receptions. He leaves the Alouettes – the only team he’s suited up for in his six year career – with 3,127 yards and 23 touchdowns under his belt.

Guy played one season in Montreal emerging as their most viable option on kick returns in the second half of the 2012 season.  He finished with 32 kick returns for 720 yards.

He also added a record-tying 129-yard missed field goal return vs. Toronto in September.

wild horse
Argos are a used car lot of Als alumni. I don't have any big faith in Porter. He's a back up who can run Calvillo's Offence, better than McPherson could. Read the writing on the label, Als Rule, and book a golf date with Calvillo. JOSH NEISWANDER!!
February 05, 2013 - 11:28am

argofan4life31
they are all too young for the "old is new again" ALS
February 04, 2013 - 7:18pm

wild horse
Brockbuster, I fear you may be right. I'm a big Als fan, but never huge on Calvillo. Yes A.C. gets 5000 yards passing behind the best O-line in the country, but seldom plays "UP" in the Big Game. Now, he is playing on borrowed time, and the Als have no Plan B. Bombers, go ahead give McPherson a shot. The physical talent is there.
February 04, 2013 - 12:01am
wild horse - You (and brockbuster) seem to have both forgotten that the Als signed former Ticats #2 Quinton Porter who has probably played more in the past 5 years than McP so they are no worse off than if they had kept AMcP - maybe they are in a better place instead. Signing QP made AMcP expendable.
February 04, 2013 - 10:25am
hard to believe BUT TFmcb 100% right on!! #13 AC not on borrowed time as some anti AC fans would like!! als have their plan which didn't include #3 who after 5 years didn't convince the als he was the next starting QB after AC!!
February 04, 2013 - 4:44pm

brockbuster
Bombers should try to get McPherson. Surprised Montreal made this move. I'm guessing Calvillo will end his career on a sour note much like Brett Farve did. He is about 40 years old. What is he thinking playing two more years? Money or pride? I predict he will get hurt bad this season and the Alouttes will suffer as a result.
February 03, 2013 - 3:15pm
BB: not surprised at all!! you think the als knew what they had in #3 after 5 years? YES!! of course they did!! they became extremely excited about seeing porter released by the cats and jumped at signing him!! not a sour note per favre for AC!! not money/not pride BUT LOVE OF THE GAME!! als owner MR. ROBERT WETENHALL is the ultimate decision maker on the club and he wants #13 behind center!! what's wrong with that? NOTHING!!
February 04, 2013 - 4:58pm

wild horse
All three had their time. The Brat was a contributor and has 2 Rings. Likewise McPherson, but I'm disappointed they never took their game to the next level. If the Als had the Kick Return game of the Ti-Cats, they'd have a 3rd Ring. I feel bad for Ti-Cats fans, I'm always cheering for them except against the Als, and they haven't needed my help there lately.
February 02, 2013 - 5:37pm

Ticats15GreyCups
Love it!
February 01, 2013 - 11:49pm
love what? that your team the ticats continue to stink!! LOL LOL LOL
February 02, 2013 - 4:49pm

sswilson
I'm surprised none of the teams attempt to use their players as trading leverage... this trio would have been excellent to utilize!
February 01, 2013 - 10:19pm
sorry I'm missing your point!!
February 02, 2013 - 4:53pm
*C*F*L*
@ AR :
I think SSWILSON means, to float each player individually on the open trade market to see their value and check what assets you could get in return (bodies - draft picks), rather than release them and get nothing in return.

I'd assume ALOUETTE management looked under that rock before the release papers were offered.
February 04, 2013 - 1:56pm
I believe your correct on your rock nothing return!! just like BC with parker/bruce and cats with porter!! no trade takers therefore released in this salary cap era!!
February 04, 2013 - 4:49pm

sswilson
Well... I was happy to see Edmonton pick up some new QB talent but I now wished they waited a day to see McPherson be released... we could go the distance if we had him on the team.

I am surprised though that Montreal chose Porter over McPherson... don't get me wrong Porter is a decent QB but he can't take over after The Great One leaves... I would stick to the QB that has seen the Al's system.
February 01, 2013 - 10:12pm
this release McPherson deal was decided a long time ago with the als brain thrust all involved popp, desjardins, trestman, brady el al!!
February 02, 2013 - 4:45pm

Lionsfan65
The only suprise here is Guy.
February 01, 2013 - 1:36pm
your kidding? right? guy being released is a surprise? LOL LOL LOL
February 01, 2013 - 5:58pm

wild horse
Good luck to "The Brat, I hoped he'd have a break-out season last year. I think Als' last offensive play of 2012 sealed his fate. McPherson, I hoped he'd be the new Run & Gun, but it didn't happen. Josh Neiswander !!!
February 01, 2013 - 1:34pm
bratton maybe gone cause bruce came cheaper!!
February 01, 2013 - 6:09pm
McPherson no surprise!! why? several years ago then HC trestman said on many occasions post #13 his replacement may not even be in montreal!! adrain's career was doomed in montreal!! his fault not on the field but in the classroom!!
February 01, 2013 - 10:42pm