Circle these dates: Seven games you won't want to miss | CFL.ca | Official Site of the Canadian Football League

TORONTO – With the release of the 2013 CFL schedule making the rounds online and through the homes of millions of Canadians yesterday, the excitement regarding the upcoming season has been elevated to a new level.

The 100th Grey Cup is in the rear-view mirror and the next 100 years of Canadian football are rapidly approaching, as training camps league-wide are set to open in just four months time.

So what does the new season have in store? Look no further than CFL.ca’s Must-See games of 2013.

*Games are not in ranking order

1) Week 1 – Blue Bombers vs. Alouettes:

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers will look to open up their 2013 season the same way they closed out their 2012 campaign – with a win over the Montreal Alouettes on home soil. This time, however, the Bombers will take to the field in a new stadium, as Investors Group Field will open its doors to regular season football for the very first time. While it might just be the first outing of a long and arduous 18-game schedule, the Bombers didn’t register their first win until Week 5 last year. A win in front of what’s sure to be an electrifying environment is definitely not a bad way to kickoff a new era in Winnipeg.

2) Week 9 – Argonauts vs. Stampeders:

It seems like only yesterday that our eyes laid witness to Chad Owens, Ricky Ray and Scott Milanovich lifting the Grey Cup over their heads following a convincing 35-22 victory over the Calgary Stampeders in the 100th Grey Cup. And while it is almost nine months after the historic championship game, you can bet the Stamps will be looking to exact their revenge over the Boatmen.

3) Week 15 – Lions vs. Roughriders:

There will be no hard feelings when Geroy Simon takes to the field at BC Place Stadium on Oct. 4 for the first time since being traded to the Roughriders earlier this off season. Rather, you can expect the BC faithful to salute the CFL’s all-time leading receiver with a warm and raucous applause that will surely send shivers down your spine. This is one you won’t want to miss, whether you’ll be there or watching on your couch.

4) Week 13 – Tiger-Cats vs. Alouettes:

For the first time since 2011, the CFL will make its way to Moncton for the NAPA Touchdown Atlantic game at Moncton Stadium. Henry Burris and the Ticats will play ‘host’ to Anthony Calvillo and the Montreal Alouettes in this third edition of the East Coast Clash, one that will likely be as much of a display off the field as it will be on it.

5) Week 11 – Blue Bombers vs. Roughriders:

Get your banjos ready! In a game that some fans look more forward to than the matchup’s Labour Day Weekend predecessor, you can argue that the Banjo Bowl encompasses the entire Riders vs. Bombers rivalry in one game. Last season saw the Riders kick their way to a last-second victory, adding yet another strong chapter to this already bitter rivalry. Who will come out on top in 2013?

6) Week 4 – Lions vs. Eskimos:

It’s uncertain whether Mike Reilly is the answer to the Eskimos’ quarterback problem. If he is, however, then this Week 4 clash has all the makings of being a rather interesting one. Having been acquired by the Esks in a deal with the Lions earlier this off-season, a win over his former team can go a long way towards establishing some much needed confidence in the early parts of the 2013 season.

7) Pre-Season Week B – Argonauts vs. Alouettes:

On Thursday, June 20, the Argos return to historic and hallowed ground when they host their pre-season game with the Alouettes at Varsity Stadium at the University of Toronto. Varsity Stadium has played host to numerous famous encounters, including the legendary 38th Grey Cup between the Boatmen and Blue Bombers, also known as the Mud Bowl.

saskfan56
Alrighty then, I certainly won't argue with your dad, smile. Perhaps there's some sort of intangible in terms of atmosphere I'm missing. But I know a fella who went to Toronto, ate in a sports bar, and had to beg the owner to change the channel to the CFL game. That just wouldn't happen in Regina. But despite all that, we've got a great game here in Canada, just wish more people knew it.
March 12, 2013 - 6:26pm
the league isn't just in regina and the CFL does carry baggage in certain cities like toronto and montreal and soon to be ottawa that at times impact the attendance at games!! re-building CFL attendance is a process that takes time as southern ontario has a love affair with the NFL just like vancouver!! don't forget also montreal and toronto with ottawa/hull have a night life that draws very well as all 3 have many/many other activites that draw!! only so much entertainment dollars available!! when I was younger my attitude was exactly like yours BUT age gives me the view of the other side!! doesn't mean I like it or agree it's just the way it is today!!
March 20, 2013 - 12:35pm

my father who has seen the alouettes play at DeLorimer(corner of DeLorimer and ontario)stadium(where jackie robinson broke baseball's colour barrier with the montreal royals), old McGill stadium, autostade(expo 67), olympic (1976)stadium and the new stade molson stadium and regular season games in every CFL city along with many/many GCs along with many football games in the USA from college/professional-both NFL and CFL rates molson as a top 5 stadium in all of north america!! PRICELESS ONLY IN MONTREAL!! PITY!!
March 10, 2013 - 10:49pm

saskfan56
Am I missing something here or didn't Toronto just win the Grey Cup? So why is an Argo fan toying with the idea of moving to a much smaller stadium? People should be clammering to fill the Skydome. I wonder when the fans of the large metropolitan cities like Toronto and Montreal are gonna become the examples to the rest of the league they should be? Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton are alot smaller cities with professional hockey teams to compete with, yet they seem to support the CFL better. Vancouver, you're just as bad, I hear there are 1,000's of Seahawk fans in B.C. that don't support the Lions. Shame on you!!!
March 08, 2013 - 6:32pm
correction on my last comment: instead of the word RAIN twice remove the 2nd rain and add SNOW!!
March 09, 2013 - 7:19pm
my above comment is incorrect!!
March 14, 2013 - 9:52am
SF56: I have attempted at least a dozen times to respond to your above comment about varsity and McGill stadiums and attendance at games in the east BUT for unknown reasons they never get posted!! sorry buddy maybe next time I can give you my opinion on attendance issues!! thanx all the same!!
March 20, 2013 - 10:12pm

gd52
I love the idea of the argos playing at varsity.
We have 10 people buying tickets.
If Mayor Ford is such a football fan, he should make the expansion of varsity to the size of mcgill a priority.
I have been to mcgill for a football game and it is fantastic.
With Rogers planning on putting in natural turf, it is time for the argos to move.
March 07, 2013 - 4:42pm
100% right on!!
March 08, 2013 - 6:33pm

Dave Saj
I am looking forward to seeing any and ALL games I can get to! I live near Niagara Falls so usually I tend Hamilton games!! I 'd like to see them there in the new stadium against Saskatchewan on July 27th I think it is!
March 06, 2013 - 11:54pm

StampStomper
week 4... Kent Austin returns to regina... Expect a stadium full of boos once he walks oh the field
March 06, 2013 - 5:35pm
saskfan56
No, don't think so, Kent left on good terms, no issues on or off the field with him, I think he'll get a standing "0"
March 08, 2013 - 6:39pm
bet you he won't!!
March 09, 2013 - 7:01pm

well well I thought the U of T's varsity stadium had been knocked down so why haven't they fixed it up like McGill's stade molson and moved out of that unfriendly skydome?!!
March 06, 2013 - 2:51pm
PrideLivesHere
Personally, I think the Argos would have a better atmosphere in a smaller venue - which would bring in more fans - better experience - IMHO.

As a league - we would be better off not having to deal with skydome politics and waiting to set the CFL schedule based on the Jays schedule and Rogers whims. IMHO
March 06, 2013 - 5:49pm