Report: Riders sign free agent Dressler | CFL.ca | Official Site of the Canadian Football League

REGINA -- A CFL team in the near future might be acquiring a two-time CFL All-Star to their lineup, after it’s been announced that Weston Dressler has cleared NFL waivers, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Earlier yesterday, reports came out that the Ottawa REDBLACKS made an offer for Dressler’s services, but how things can change.

Late last night multiple sources have reported that Dressler will indeed sign with the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Even with the quick turnaround, it seems like it is possible that Dressler could even dress for the Roughriders Mark’s Labour Day Weekend game against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, if the paperwork and his physical goes well.

Ottawa REDBLACKS general manager Marcel Desjardins said Wednesday he has made a contract offer to the former Saskatchewan Roughriders star.

"We've made an offer and that's pretty much where it's at," Desjardins said.

When Desjardins was asked what he would bring to the REDBLACKS he said, " He brings ability on the field, ability off the field in terms of leadership skills and the type of person he is and the character he has. He'd be a tremendous asset to the REDBLACKS."

Early Monday morning, the Kansas City Chiefs announced the release of 11 players, with former Riders slotback Dressler among them.

Dressler, 29, was granted his release by the Roughriders in January so that he could pursue an opportunity in the NFL.

"If Weston Dressler became available, I think the Roughriders would be at or near everybody's money offer," said CFL.ca's Rod Pedersen last week.

"Because there will be quite a few for Weston," he added.

It won't be surprising if all nine teams reach out to five-time 1,000 yard receiver and attempt to sign the shifty 5'8" speedy slotback.

Last season while playing in Saskatchewan, Dressler accumulated 1,011 receiving yards on 70 receptions and recorded nine majors.

In six CFL seasons, Dressler has been nothing short of spectacular, hauling in 442 receptions for 6,531 yards and 43 touchdowns.

During his brief stint with the Chiefs, Dressler registered no catches in very limited appearances during the pre-season.

--With files from The Canadian Press

Weston only would go to the green BUT money was more else where!!
August 28, 2014 - 1:21pm
Juggernot
Yes, smart people realize there's more to life than just money!!
August 28, 2014 - 8:10pm
Orange & Black
Then why did he turn his back on the Riders and try the NFL? Its always all about the money! Making the NFL as a 5'8" receiver, his chances were slim to none!
August 30, 2014 - 1:41am
RayX
Because all pro football players spend their whole lives dreaming of making the NFL.
August 30, 2014 - 2:54pm

NO surprise the green signed up their ben cahoon again with regina who do have the #1 QB in the league!!
August 28, 2014 - 1:11pm

GC Bound
I hope all the folks who continually underestimate the Green Machine Continue to do so, LOL
Go Riders GO!!
August 28, 2014 - 11:52am

RFE
I can't help but think of names like Stevie Baggs, Andy Fantuz.... even John Chick and Ricky Ray when they first returned from the NFL... they were shadows of their former selves, Ray and Chick have found their form, but Baggs is ??? and Fantuz has been a non-factor, partly due to injury, but still. Weston really would give the Riders the X factor they are missing to possibly repeat as GC Champions... I would like to think that will sway him to don green once again.
August 27, 2014 - 11:33pm

GC Bound
I would love it if Dressler signed with Riders and help solidify a Repeat Grey Cup WIN which would be great for the Saskatchewan Franchise BUT
BUT my gut tells me either RedBlacks or Argos will end up with this receiver AND those two teams are the most in need of Validating their existence in the CFL.
Go Riders GO!
August 27, 2014 - 9:27pm
RFE
The longer this drags out, the less convinced I am that Dressler will return to the Riders. I can not see him going to an expansion team, but the Argos clearing cap space worries me. Their record does not reflect how good they will be when their walking wounded return. Throw Weston in with Barnes and Owens.... wow, Toronto could make some serious noise.
August 27, 2014 - 11:27pm

GoTi-Cats
A receiver like Dressler with a qb like Burris could be dynamite. I'd like to see that even though it wouldn't be good news for my wounded Ti-Cats.
August 27, 2014 - 8:55pm
Spectator13
I honestly don't know what value a good receiver like Dressler brings to Ottawa given Hank's inability to get the ball within reach of his current receivers. Last time I checked Dresslers arms weren't 10ft long.
August 28, 2014 - 2:05am
RFE
Amen to that. I really can't see why DeMarco isn't getting a start when Burris seems to have forgotten what a receiver looks like.
August 28, 2014 - 12:24pm

Mcboyes
Various businesses in Regina are offering extras if he signs with the Riders.Free cupcakes, free car washes, free blizzards, free paninis plus getting a panini named after him.
Sounds a little desperate to me, but if it gets him back here, hey, why not?
August 27, 2014 - 6:17pm
GreenMachine93
Its just fans throwing things in and in no way reflects on the Riders organization. also, free blizzards for a year? If I were Weston I would sign based on that alone (Well that and the high chance of a repeat)
August 27, 2014 - 8:12pm
GC Bound
Sign Dressler to a 1 year contract with the option on a 2nd year and pay him the same they paid GRoy Simon.
Go Riders Go
August 27, 2014 - 10:25pm

USArgosfan
I'd like to see him end up in either a Argos uniform or a REDBLACKS uniform
August 27, 2014 - 3:22am

GC Bound
Yah, the suspense is killing me!!
Go Riders GO
August 26, 2014 - 8:15pm

RayX
I think it'll come down to whether he wants to be a Rider again and live where he has connections, or take the massive offer I suspect the Argos are preparing with all the cap space they've cleared recently.
August 26, 2014 - 7:53pm