Defensive stud: Stamps extend DB Keon Raymond | CFL.ca | Official Site of the Canadian Football League

Raymond Signs Extension with Stamps
Adam Gagnon

CALGARY -- Calgary Stampeders head coach and general manager John Hufnagel announced today that import defensive back Keon Raymond has signed a contract extension. As per team policy, terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Raymond, who joined the team in 2008, is one of the longest-serving members on the active roster. On the defensive side of the ball, only Justin Phillips, who joined the club in 2007, has been with the Stampeders longer.

“I’ve been so blessed for the time I have spent in Calgary so far and I’m happy to continue my career with the Stampeders,” said Raymond.

“I have the best teammates I could ever hope for and the support of Stampeders fans is always tremendous. Calgary is home for me and my family and I’m looking forward to the new season and another opportunity to get to the Grey Cup.”

Raymond, 31, started 15 regular-season games at the SAM position for the Stampeders in 2013 and totaled 51 tackles, including one tackle for loss, four sacks, eight pass knockdowns and one special-teams tackle. He also returned two kickoffs for 79 yards including a 61-yarder.

In the Western Final, Raymond had one tackle and one forced fumble.

“Keon is a reliable and versatile player who has been a key member of our defence for many seasons,” said Hufnagel. “He’s an important part of the Stampeders both on and off the field and I’m pleased that he has chosen to sign an extension to remain in Calgary.”

In 88 career regular-season games for the Red and White, the St. Louis native has recorded 250 tackles, 14 special-teams tackles, eight sacks, 15 interceptions, five fumble recoveries and one forced fumble. He has five career touchdowns — three on interceptions and two on fumble returns.

Raymond now resides year-round in Calgary and he has twice been voted by teammates as the winner of the Presidents’ Ring award for combining excellence on the field with leadership, inspiration and motivational skills.

dt26
I'm going to have to agree with Al's Rule on this one. The Stamps has been producing wins over the past several years and that's because the veterans that they kept together. Let's not confuse production with age.
January 28, 2014 - 1:18am

waveman
sooner or later..lotsa great moves/only 1 cup in years to show..gets old! in fact if I'm the owner, its starting to get old now, just like the many 30+ players being signed.
January 27, 2014 - 1:52pm
DaveYYC
While I agree that they've underachieved, as far as championships are concerned, I actually think they're doing a good job of grooming young players/prospects to replace the veterans.

Lewis is their 2nd oldest player (if LS Chevrier re-signs), and he'll just be turning 32 around the start of the season.

Of the 71 players currently listed on their roster, only 18 (24%) will even turn 30 by the end of the season (October). Only 9 of them are starters, and they're all proven players (age next season): Lewis (32), Raymond (32), Federkeil (30), Hughes (30), Bennett (30), West (30), McDaniel (30), Simpson (30), Smith (30). With lots of depth at WR, OL and DB, Hughes & Simpson (the heart of the defense) are the only critical 30+ players. The other 9 30+ players are backups.
January 27, 2014 - 1:58pm
W: I understand your GC frustrations BUT you do yourself a major dis-service if that's how you judge your horses!! they are a winning squad that other teams wish they were!! your in the running every year under hufnagel!! your entertainment dollar is returned 3 fold every year!!
January 27, 2014 - 2:44pm
DaveYYC
Edit: 25%, not 24% (typo)

The best thing about the way Huff builds & develops his team is that the winning is sustainable. The depth was on full display last season, due to injuries throughout the lineup, which bodes well to the future success of the Stamps (even when all those key 30+ players eventually decline and/or retire).
January 27, 2014 - 3:38pm

another day another contract extension by GM/HC john hufnagel!!
January 27, 2014 - 12:04pm

DaveYYC
Yet another smart move by Huff and the Stamps.

However, there are still 5 key players that are potential free agents, that I hope get re-signed soon:

- Tsoumpas (all-star OL)
- Law (all-star caliber young DE)
- Randle (fantastic coverage CB)
- Bolden (solid DT)
- Jackson (good versatile LB)
January 27, 2014 - 11:52am