Duvernay-Tardif to skip 2014 Combine | CFL.ca | Official Site of the Canadian Football League

Andrew Dobrowolskyj, McGill

TORONTO -- He's been the top-ranked prospect in both of this season's Scouting Bureau rankings, but McGill offensive lineman Laurent Duvernay-Tardif has decided to not partake in the most important event leading up the 2014 CFL Draft.

Rather than attending the Combine from March 21-23, Duvernay-Tardif will host his own pro day workouts.

Duvernay-Tardif is a two-time All-Canadian who captured the 2013 Metras trophy as Canadian university football's top lineman.

The St. Hilaire, QC. native was invited to participate in the 89th East-West Shrine game Jan. 18 in St. Petersburg, Fla.

With files from The Canadian Press

LionWhiskers
@AR. You basically answered both our questions. It´s not that the “country is still not able to furnish enough quality players” - its that the Country is UNABLE to furnish enough quality players, period (and the Country never will. CFL history tells us that. CFL is not hockey). As a Canadian, nothing would satisfy me more than to see all Canadian team rosters filled with quality Canadians. I believe we have extremely talented Canadian players but, sadly, we won´t see play in the CFL. In my view, it´s not just about the players who play the game but the CFL game itself. It´s the game and the excitement that makes it fun and worthwhile to watch. Unfortunately, the CFL is poorly promoted and the mentality to keep it just “Canadian” just won´t fly nowadays. The import-rule simply makes no sense to me.
March 13, 2014 - 1:37pm
@LW: excellent comment!! without the import ratio rule the league would be weaker and less exciting!!
March 13, 2014 - 9:12pm

LionWhiskers
Yes a talented Canadian with NFL aspirations. So, can somebody tell me again why we have an import ratio rule in the CFL?
March 11, 2014 - 7:16pm
@LW: sorry what do you mean WHY!! among other reasons maybe cause its the called the canadian football league and the fans of the CFL want to see as many canadians on the game roster as possible BUT unfortunately this country is still not able to furnish enough quality players to fill every team's 46 man roster in the league!! therefore the need to have imports in the game with its ratio rule(only so many american players per team)!!
March 11, 2014 - 11:04pm
AjaxEddiefan
NFL....I believe that stands for Nancy Football League. It's certainly
Numb, Foreign and Lame.....
March 12, 2014 - 4:10am
newCFLfan081779
In reply to AjaxEddie, I'm curious as to what specific things about the NFL make it Numb and Lame? I'll grant you the slowness of the game; even though I never noticed it while growing up, since I've become a fan of hockey and rugby I do get bored sometimes with American football and how it takes 3.5 hours to play a 60 minute game. I personally am on the fence about 3 downs to make a first (but just bc its so new to me), but I'm definitely in favor of the much shorter game clock in the CFL (btw, is that standard throughout Canadian football?)and how it moves the game along much quicker. Also, just to be clear, I mean this post as an honest question to AEF (and anyone else who'd like to weigh-in); the last thing I want is to come off as just another arrogant American whose convinced we're the best at everything or any of that nonsense.
March 12, 2014 - 12:18pm

This sounds like a player with NFL aspirations in which case his CFL stock could drop.
March 11, 2014 - 4:35pm
@TFmcb: what? of course he's looking south to the NFL!! he's got a swollen head and is 2 good for the CFL!! he won't be taken until the later rounds of the CFL draft and will be surprised(when he finally does enter the league after returning from the NFL)at how tough the league is and how far he's lacking as an OL who thought he was better than the rest!!
March 11, 2014 - 5:52pm