End of the line? Calvillo to make 'important announcement' | CFL.ca | Official Site of the Canadian Football League

MONTREAL -- At the time, Anthony Calvillo's touchdown pass to Brandon London during Montreal's Week 7 matchup against the Argonauts seemed just like the other 454 he's thrown during his illustrious career.

Today, however, it looks like it very well could have been his last.

At 11:00am ET, the Montreal Alouettes will be holding a press conference with Anthony Calvillo where it is expected he will announce his retirement.

President Mark Weightman and Head Coach and GM Jim Popp will also attend the announcement.

The future hall-of-famer missed Montreal's last 11 games of the season due to a concussion, suffered after taking an innocent-looking hit from Roughriders defensive end Ricky Foley in Week 8.

During the team's final media availability following their Eastern Semi-Final loss to the Tiger-Cats, Calvillo admitted he was favouring retirement.

"I'm favouring retiring, that's for sure,'' Calvillo said back in November. "That's the way I've been looking at things.''

If he retires, he is looking at going into coaching, but he also wants at least one summer off to spend with his family.

And if he coaches, the Los Angeles native wants it to be in Montreal.

"This is my home, this is where I want to be, this is where I want to raise my kids,'' he said. "So my first objective is to get healthy and try to stay here in Montreal.''

He said the desire to coach grew this season when he was unable to play but spent time in team meetings and talking to teammates in the locker-room. He watched three quartrerbacks prospects, Josh Neiswander, Tanner Marsh and Troy Smith, take turns being the starter.

Smith, the 2006 Heisman Trophy winner, looks poised to take over next season if Calvillo opts to retire. Smith signed a three-year contract extension with Montreal on Dec. 20.

The five-time CFL all-star won three Grey Cups and was named the CFL's Outstanding player three times.

He holds league records of 79,816 passing yards, 455 touchdown passes, 5,892 completions and 9,437 pass attempts. He also holds the single game completions mark with 44, and leads in career Grey Cup passing yards with 2,470.

With files from The Canadian Press

lordbyron
I just watched the "Engraved on a Nation" episode on TSN.ca about AC and gained a new appreciation for him. Not that I didn't appreciate him already!
January 21, 2014 - 8:46am

HillbillyRidersFan
I am first and foremost a Riders fan, but AC is the epitome of everything that is great about sports in general and the CFL in particular. It is people like him that taught this southern boy to love the CFL. He is simply the classiest act I've seen in my 50 years. God Bless AC!
January 16, 2014 - 4:15pm

Pat
I hope this is something we have not thounght of but I fear it may be the CFL's version of Lebron leaving Clevland.
January 16, 2014 - 4:03pm
@P: not to worry tiny dancer!!
January 16, 2014 - 7:40pm

swidzb2
Don't retire buddy. Once you're out you're out. I wouldn't give a rat's a$$ what anyone thought - especially since I wrote the record books and they are wanna-be's, at best - and play until I couldn't walk off the field. Anyone who criticizes you can compare stats, Cups, history, etc. I'm telling you AC.... don't do it, not yet.
January 16, 2014 - 3:41am
S2: I can go along with that!!
January 16, 2014 - 1:24pm
Juggernot
So, let me get this straight - you Als fans would put your own concerns for the team ahead of this man's long term health?? Luckily I think AC is smarter than you two and will do the right thing for himself and his family!!
January 17, 2014 - 5:31am
@Jhead: WHAT? NO!! not at all not in the least!! just 1 final snap behind center to remember AC instead of the memory of AC lying on the field then sitting on the team bench looking LOST!! if that's putting AC playing ahead of his family THEN SO BE IT!!
January 17, 2014 - 10:08am

aargauch
Everyone knows that it was at the hands of the Riders that AC went down hard and for the final time. A very sad way to end a brilliant career !
January 15, 2014 - 8:41pm
A: C DE ricky foley with the bullseye on his back!!
January 16, 2014 - 1:26pm

GottobeGreen
I would love for AC to take one more snap and have the MA do a ceremony during their home opener. This is to big to simply end it this way. Loved watching you play everyone except the Riders. Still in therapy.
January 15, 2014 - 11:36am
@GTBG: absolutely agree 100%!!
January 15, 2014 - 1:23pm

saskman100
I want to wish AC all the best in the future. Simply the best
January 15, 2014 - 7:44am
S100: "simply the best" NO not the best BUT for sure in the top ten over all with AC being in the position of 1 to 10 depending on who was doing the ranking!!
January 16, 2014 - 1:36pm

Mcboyes
It should be noted that I in my comment below I didn't necessarily mean good memories. AC broke a lot of Saskatchewan hearts.
January 14, 2014 - 6:46pm
@M: and hopefully new starting QB troy smith and #1 back-up tanner marsh continues AC's tradition of breaking a lot of green hearts!!
January 14, 2014 - 7:49pm
Mcboyes
I am interested to see how that starting lineup shakes out. Marsh and Smith each showed show very good flashes.
January 15, 2014 - 7:12am
@M: I believe you'll be surprised at how few chances occur with the als in 2014!! no more than any average/normal TC year some where between 10 to 15 changes!!
January 16, 2014 - 7:49pm

Mcboyes
Thanks for the memories AC. Goodbye to one the greatest ever.
January 14, 2014 - 6:44pm

If this is anything but an announcement about retiring, I'll be surprised! A long distinguished career but it's time to hang 'em up AC.
January 14, 2014 - 6:20pm
TFmcb: oh I'm sure AC has been staying up nites waiting to hear from you for your opinion on whether he should retire or continue to play?!!
January 16, 2014 - 1:20pm