Hamilton calling: Cobourne re-joins Ticats | CFL.ca | Official Site of the Canadian Football League

ESF: Cobourne 46-Yard Touchdown Run

HAMILTON -- What's old is new again in Hamilton.

Just a day after it was confirmed that RB Martell Mallett would miss the remainder of the season with an achilles injury, Avon Cobourne, who was released by the club in February, is returning to the Ticats.

Cobourne enjoyed a strong season in 2011 in Hamilton, rushing for 961 yards and eight touchdowns, while tacking on 459 more yards through the air.

However, the return of Mallett, who is seven years Cobourne's junior, made the veteran tailback expendable.

Cobourne, a two-time Grey Cup champion with the Alouettes, returns to a seemingly entirely new offence in Hamilton. He'll join new quarterback Henry Burris and a few marquee receivers in Andy Fantuz and Sam Giguere, in hopes of ushering in a new era of success in Steeltown.

He was one of four veteran tailbacks to be released this off-season, as Wes Cates, Joffrey Reynolds and Fred Reid were all cut loose their respective clubs.

CS: by the by cobourne's contract has the length of years as the more important aspect of the contract rather then the amount of money.
June 12, 2012 - 11:24am

TFmcb: you had a comment addressed to me where you said I don't know why I bother well that applies to me right NOW. I haven't put words into your mouth and it appears you totally got my post wrong. one last time. you go on bragging about mallett then disrespect cobourne by saying AVON WHO and now have to feel real FOOLISH having cobourne return to save your tabbies.
June 12, 2012 - 11:04am

CFL.CA staff why are you refusing to post my replies to people who call me an idiot etc. if I can't respond then why do you allow words like idiot etc to be used.
June 12, 2012 - 10:08am

cflsteve
awful break for Mallet who was excited to be back in the CFL. For Cobourne a good break in a bad way. but with the Contract $$$ he and reynolds are worth this would seem t be the only way they could get back in this year. Reynolds will now have to wait to see if something similar happens elsewhere
June 09, 2012 - 12:31am
CS: little ac and reynolds and cates out of work the contract money their worth is ZERO. hammer wanting ac to return increased his paycheck so as to keep him happy enough to return.
June 09, 2012 - 9:06am
cflsteve
I think there worth a lil more than 0 ??? and yes of course they want to make him happy. They would not want a disgruntled tailback. Duh?
June 09, 2012 - 12:03pm
CS: Duh yourself. worth nothing. there on the street for heaven sake cause NOBODY wants them. money not little ac`s main concern length of contract is and has to be at least for 2 years.
June 09, 2012 - 10:10pm

I'm not surprised that they would bring Coborne back with Terry Grant on the 9 game IR. There is talent in camp but unproven with the Canadian game so AC will provide a veteran presence until they are up to speed and Grant is ready to return. Not sure we'll be calling him "deuces" though since that number is currently being worn by DB Johnson who may be willing to give it up (or may not make the final cut).
June 08, 2012 - 1:21pm
TFmcb: funny from previous posts you believed it would be foolish to bring little ac back posting AVON WHO. LOL LOL LOL
June 08, 2012 - 5:47pm
As usual you missed my point! With a healthy Mallett who was doing a great job, some talented rookies for backup plus the eventual return of Grant, Coborne was not needed and would have become a distant memory (like Cobb e.g.). Why else do you think AC asked to be released. The situation has changed with Mallett out for the season so bringing back AC (or another vet)is not surprising.
June 08, 2012 - 8:20pm
TFmcb: boy your attitude is really showing thru again clearly. I missed your point. NO. as usual you missed what I totally said. I was referring to ac`s return after your out the side of your mouth comment earlier of AVON WHO. the RB you need THAT`S WHO. INSTEAD OF CHILLING AND WAITING FOR TC to develop before making outlandish comments you plow right in without thought or reason and constantly look out of touch with your cats.
June 09, 2012 - 9:22am

June 08, 2012 - 1:21pm
TFmcb: talent in camp of course just like the other 7 teams.
June 08, 2012 - 8:21pm