Release granted: Riders part ways with Dressler | CFL.ca | Official Site of the Canadian Football League

Dressler Released by Roughriders

REGINA -- The Saskatchewan Roughriders announced they have released import receiver Weston Dressler allowing him the opportunity to sign with a National Football League team, the team said in a release Thursday.

Dressler, 27, leaves Saskatchewan following six seasons in Green and White.

"Weston and his agent were very up front they were going to go through the process and we were made aware of a possible situation coming up in the next couple of days where Weston was more than likely going to get an opportunity,'' Roughriders Assistang GM Jeremy O'Day told reporters.

"From our standpoint it's tough to lose such a good player that's been here for a long time, is a leader in the locker-room."

The Bismarck, ND native has built a reputation of being one of the league's most dependable and sure-handed receivers, hauling in an average of 81 passes over the last three seasons.

"For the team obviously it's not great news,'' O'Day said. "But it's our job to find good players and hopefully we'll be able to replace him.''

In 2013, Dressler registered 1,011 receiving yards and nine touchdowns during the regular season. The post-season saw him notch 16 catches for 240 yards and four touchdowns, en-route to leading the Roughriders to a victory in the 101st Grey Cup.

His best season as a Rider came in 2012 when he collected 94 receptions for 1,206 yards and a career best 13 touchdowns.

He was slated to become a free agent on Feb. 15.

With files from The Canadian Press

GoTi-Cats
He almost always provided pass catching excitement and I enjoyed watching him more than almost any other receiver. I'll miss him in the CFL games but will enjoy watching him work in the NFL if it works out down south for him.
February 03, 2014 - 8:03pm

Dewknot
Charles and Dressler as teamates. NEVER would have seen this in my wildest dreams. Sooooooooo awesome. I am not one to mark out but I will for this!
February 02, 2014 - 8:09pm

RayX
Gotta be happy for the guy. I'll hate to see him go but if one guy deserves the shot it's him. He's consistent, classy and talented as all hell. I'll route for pretty much any team he ends up on. And I love the rider nation tribute requesting #13 Let's hope the plethora of other good green receivers can pick up the slack.
Is there any news on Sheets yet?
January 31, 2014 - 4:57pm

GottobeGreen
KC will see a huge spike in Jersey's shipped to Canada.
January 31, 2014 - 10:06am
@GTBG: and a HUGE spike in his paycheck if he does make the starting game roster!!
February 01, 2014 - 12:23pm
peipaul
He will see a decent spike in his paycheque even if he just makes the practice squad. As an Als fan I am glad to see him go. He was such a threat to break a game wide open or get that long catch for a 1st down on 2nd and long. Wish him nothing but the best. He is a class act.
February 02, 2014 - 10:42am
SaskyRiders
@als rule

Minimum contract is 500k. So even if he makes the practice squad he will be making at least 2x if not 3x more than here.
February 02, 2014 - 6:49pm

GottobeGreen
Great news for Weston and very deserving to say the least. O&B.....sure hope that you can at least wish him well. Time for a new Jersey.
January 31, 2014 - 9:15am

saskman100
I want to wish Weston all the best in KC. He will be missed in the Rider dressing room as well as on the field. He is one class act and will make the Kansas a better team if used properly.
January 31, 2014 - 6:58am

Orange & Black
Way too small for an NFL receiver. Expect to see him back in the CFL.
January 31, 2014 - 3:44am
bclion999
Too small? Seriously? Dressler is 5' 8" and 180 pounds.
There is a certain receiver in Denver named Wes Welker, who is 5'9" and 185 pounds.
Dressler will be all right.
January 31, 2014 - 1:02pm

Stargaezr
I'm not gonna lie, I think I might have teared up a little bit watching the video. You Asked for #13 just for us to remember you by? That's about as much of an honour as a fan could ask for! :( We'll miss you Dressler!
January 31, 2014 - 12:49am

JimmyJ
KC will get the second coming of Wes Welker - my cousin by the way. In the Charger game that they lost - that got the Chargers in the playoffs -their QB consistently had receivers drop balls that would of put them in position to win. Alex Smith will be THRILLED to have Dressler to throw to because he will do the EXACT OPPOSITE of what his receivers did in that game. GO GET EM WESTON - BEST OF LUCK and thanks for 6 great years in the CFL.
January 30, 2014 - 11:43pm

on his way to the kansas city chiefs home of HC andy reid!!
January 30, 2014 - 7:13pm
Mcboyes
Yeah, you're probably right. I really am hoping for somewhere else, though. I don't know that I can cheer for KC.
January 30, 2014 - 10:34pm