Au revoir: Alouettes part ways with Richardson | CFL.ca | Official Site of the Canadian Football League

CFL.ca

MONTREAL -- The Montreal Alouettes have announced the release of veteran slotback Jamel Richardson, the team announced Saturday night.

The news was initially broken by RDS reporter Didier Ormejuste.

Richardson, 32, was set to enter his 11th CFL season, and sixth with the Alouettes.

Prior to sustaining a season-ending torn ACL and LCL in 2013, Richardson registered five-straight 1,000-yard seasons. In his 10 campaigns, Richardson has reeled in 585 receptions for 8,069 receiving yards and 52 touchdowns.

"On behalf of the Montreal Alouettes, we thank Jamel Richardson for his outstanding years of service," declared Alouettes General Manager Jim Popp.

"Unfortunately, we have not been able to come to an agreement on a future plan to help Jamel with his return from injury. We wish him the best in his future endeavours and will always hold him in high regards as an Alouettes player."

The 2011 season was his most productive campaign, as his 1,777 receiving yards were tops in the CFL.

Richardson took to Twitter to express his gratitude to the city of Montreal, as well as the Alouettes organization.

Wheelers31
Knee injuries are tough, and can take a long time to get right - too long in this case for the Alouettes. I wish Jamal Richardson all the best, and hope to see him back with the Alouettes later in the season if that works for both sides.

Great that Kyle Graves seems to have made the team, although on the one game injured list.

All the best too to Diamond Ferri, and the other players released.
June 22, 2014 - 5:20pm

saskman100
He will show up on another team. This made no sense to me.
June 22, 2014 - 9:02am
@S100: your not alone!!
June 22, 2014 - 2:00pm
Wheelers31
I wonder how much financial pressure Popp is under that Barker is not - especially since Montreal has Hawkins on the payroll for another two years. There has always seemed to be money in Toronto to pay players and coaches that Montreal can't afford, starting with Chad Owens. As I have noted elsewhere, if Richardson can't play for the Montreal Alouettes, perhaps he can play for the Toronto Alouettes.
June 23, 2014 - 8:25am
@W31: nothing to do with financial pressure you think popp is under(which he is not)or toronto's owner having more money than the alouette's owner(which he doesn't)!! it boils down to 1 thing how popp wants to spend his salary cap money compared to how barker wants to spend his cap money!! hawkins's et al monies are from the als owner and not part of the players salary cap money!!
June 23, 2014 - 10:55pm

pigskin pedro
what a crock. I have more faith in Richardson then I do in Johnson. Chad looked totally confused in the preseason game I watch the other night. I'm sure he will catch on but how long will the learning curve be.. Anyway good luck Jamel I hope we get to see you play again some where else..
June 22, 2014 - 12:52am
@PP: "what a crock" YES agree BUT also remember #18 was a SB while #85 is a WR BUT your point noted!!
June 22, 2014 - 12:49pm

alouette FYI: montreal also released A LB ferri and A OL golic!! als PR: C K/P boyd, A DL brikowski, A WR gilyards, C DB knowles, A RB rutley, C OL piotrowski, C WR smith, C LB tuck and A LB/DB venable!! 6 game IR: C OL baillargeon, C LB beaulieu-richard, C DL finley, A RB sutton, A MLB woods!! 1 game IR: C DL pall, C WR graves!!
June 21, 2014 - 11:25pm

mr. jamel richardson thank you for your alouette service and the joy you gave me thru out your whole montreal career!! remember #18 once an alouette always an alouette!! thanx for the memories!! WELL DONE!!
June 21, 2014 - 11:10pm

now this is an even bigger SHOCKER to me than anything else today that the alouettes have done!! jamel is only 32 years old so to me popp's reasoning doesn't wash with me when he brings in a rookie CFLer at age 36!! yes richardson was hurt last year BUT at 32 couldn't the als have waited a year if need be for him to get 100% healthy?!! sorry smells like a salary dump to me!! with #18's salary and #13's salary off the books this season and the salary cap increased montreal has to have a very positive bank account right now!!
June 21, 2014 - 10:17pm
Agree that keeping an older unproven Johnson over JR who has been a productive player for the team is a questionable move!
June 22, 2014 - 3:39pm
@TBmcb: NO!! my point was not keeping WR johnson over SB richardson and NO it's not a "questionable move"!! my point still is jamel is 4 years younger than chad and if it took #18 a whole year to get healthy than so be it!! at 33 richardson would still have plenty left in his gas tank to scare CFL defences!!
June 22, 2014 - 9:05pm