Rottier ready for redemption in Edmonton | CFL.ca | Official Site of the Canadian Football League

Esks.com

Esks.com Staff

EDMONTON -- Eskimos offensive lineman Simeon Rottier is focused on redemption.

When he signed with the Eskimos two seasons ago it was supposed to be a feel good story of the hometown boy returning and having success with the team he grew up watching.

It didn’t happen that way.

“I think the injury affected me more than I ever thought it would,” says Rottier in reference to the arm injury he sustained in a game against the BC Lions on July 20, 2012.

“Even heading into last off-season, I tried to approach it like any other, where if I went to the gym and worked hard every day, I thought everything would be good.

“I don’t think I dealt with that injury the way I should’ve mentally and it showed in the way I played this season. This game is all about confidence and that was something I struggled with this (past) year.”

Rottier and his teammates on the offensive line were under intense pressure throughout the 2013 season, but the group greatly improved their play in the later stages of the year.

“I was playing pretty uptight at the beginning of the year, but after everything went down, I wasn’t worried about making mistakes,” admits Rottier.

“I just wanted to go out and have fun and that was a big breakthrough for me and I want to continue to build off that.

“Our line, as a group, certainly took our lumps, but it’s something you learn and grow from. Learning from that experience can be valuable down the road when you’re winning.”

Rottier is re-energized and focused on putting the past two years behind him to get back to the level that made him the No.1 overall pick in the 2009 CFL Canadian Draft.

Football is fun again.

“The past is the past. For me, with my faith that God has put me here for a reason, I really feel that this year, this is where I need to be and I will overcome everything,” says Rottier.

“It doesn’t always mean that everything is going to be how you want or expect. It’s about trusting there is a plan there. You may not know why you have to go through some of those things, but you grow stronger from it.”

for rottier he has to do 1 of 3 things to continue his career in the CFL!! #1 get released by edmonton, #2 leave as a FA and #3 get traded!! the reason?!! quite simple he can't continue playing for GM hervey who publically belittled him in a wild rant last season and going as far as saying he'll never play for the eskimos again!! as for his broken arm that was done on purpose by leo's former DT mitchell!! who received a suspension that wasn't long enough!!
March 01, 2014 - 2:35pm
Sharky99
@AR let's be logical here, if they were going to release Rottier the Esks would have done it earlier in the off season, same goes for a trade (although that might still happen around draft time) and as for an FA / Trade ... I would have to say his stock is down right now, simply because his head was somewhere else and the film shows his foot work was brutal at times last year and he looked like a turn style on pass blocking. He knows this and he is not going to test FA with that body of work.

I agree Mitchell is a dirt bag and the CFL doesn’t do enough to protect players by punishing dirty play. Don’t even get me started as to the lack of skill of some of the on field officials.

As far as what Hervey did; when did football get to be about feelings? When Brian Burke calls out a player publicly and he picks someone everywhere he goes, are we all shocked? No! Does he get reprimanded? No! Now the bleeding hearts whine because Hervey was publicly ticked. He was only saying what the rest of Esks faithful were thinking, even said on the radio talk shows and for the record something had to be done before Reilly was killed. Was he a bit of a goat, yup. If Ed didn't think he could take it, I doubt he would have picked on him in the public eye.

However, Rottier is an Albertan and Edmontian, which means he isn't a wuss and he will man up. He is admitting he wasn't good, but he is recommitting himself to get better, which shows he is owning his play. Besides he will play for Jones, his staff, his teammates and entirety of B.O.N.E. not for the GM.

Here's to hoping he wants to make Hervey eat his words and comes to camp with a big chip on his shoulder.
March 01, 2014 - 10:04pm
@S99: my logic apparently has gone over your head!! my comment wasn't for the eskimos BUT for rottier who needs to leave edmonton to save himself and improve himself and to continue his CFL career with another team!! if he doesn't take his career in his hands and become pro-active he ends up like montreal's former 1st round draft pick OL dylan steenbergen(who also played with edmonton)who amounted to nothing BUT a HUGE disappointment!! as for GM hervey nothing can excuse his RANT in public no matter how right he may have thought he was or the fans thought he was!! he was wrong and off side and did a major dis-service to himself, rottier, the eskimo players, edmonton management and the eskimo fan base!!
March 02, 2014 - 11:31am
Sharky99
@AR No your point did not go over my head, I was merely pointing out how impractical it was.

No excuses needed for Hervey he is well liked in the Edmonton market and the rest of the opinions don't really matter. If someones delicate sensibilities have been offended by how Hervey operates, well too bad so sad, awe, but then again I have an inkling that this is more about bashing then righteous indignation some are portraying.
March 02, 2014 - 5:34pm

Sharky99
The Esks O-line was much maligned, because it wasn’t very good. Comparatively speaking the Esks gave up 24 more sacks, attempted 107 fewer rushes and scored 8 less TD’s than their rivals to the south.

As a result this off season the Esks went for a completely new coaching staff again, but rather than repeat the same structure and hope for the best, a commitment to O-line improvement has emerged. First the OC Steve McAdoo has plenty of Offensive Line and Running Back Coach experience with the latest includes time with the run happy Argos during their Grey Cup run. Second, former Als Offensive Line coach Jonathan Himebauch is now the Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator with similar credentials.

GM Hervey has been busy bringing in a mix of young and veteran talent on the O-line such as Guards Adam Baboulas and Andrew Jones along with Justin Sorensen at Centre. Add in Akeem Foster along with Chambers and Bowman in addition to Rookie Smith Wright to provide second level blocking for small speed back Hugh Charles and the host of similar backs that provide depth to complete the formula.

This is all designed to reduce the 2nd and long scenarios that allowed defenses to blitz Reilly without mercy. The run game will force defenses to stay home and stop the run or at least that is what the Esks are hoping to do to help out Simeon and friends on the O-Line.
March 01, 2014 - 1:31pm
@S99: YES good summary BUT C G baboulas(former leo who was never able to crack into the weak BC starting OL), C G jones(former argo and cat)is he an upgrade for the eskimos?!! and C G/C sorensen(former BB and lion)with a pair of bad wheels!! is this enough to improve the OL and open holes for charles and protect reilly?!!
March 01, 2014 - 6:50pm
Sharky99
@AR Baboulas is depth, Mercer and Hinse are not starters for certain. I don't think that Sorensen is as broken as you imply. I hope the Esks use their first pick on SFU C Goossen, loved watch in the film on this guy. That would mean Goossen (other draft pick), Jones and Rottier will be given a shot at RG. Rottier was not good last year, that's a fact and he knows it. If Jones pushes him or wins the job it means the RG position will be better, to what degree is to be seen. Better coaching will also help that situation. I am betting that they use Wright to help at RG and Bowman across the face of the line like they did a few years ago. Is it enough? Depends what your expectations are. I think most Esks fans would be happy 2nd and 4, 5 or 6 instead of 13, 14 or 15.
March 01, 2014 - 10:14pm
@S99: sorensen is just one more knee injury away from a wheelchair and retirement!! goossen may indeed upgrade the OL BUT not in his 1st year!! of course 2nd and 4 is miles better then 2nd and 12!!
March 02, 2014 - 10:46am