Something to prove: Foley ready for next chapter | CFL.ca | Official Site of the Canadian Football League

Foley Signs with Roughriders
CFL.ca

REGINA -- After testing the free agent market for just under two weeks, Ricky Foley has found a new home in Saskatchewan.

And he couldn’t be more excited.

“It’s amazing, I never would have expected all this,” said Foley when asked about how his first few hours as a Roughrider were.

“I heard the reputation about Saskatchewan being a great organization and good to their players. It’s amazing, I already feel like it’s my home,” he added.

Foley arrives in his new home after literally spending the last three seasons in his own backyard in Toronto. Last season saw him pick up 35 tackles and three sacks during the regular season and star during the playoffs, registering seven tackles, two sacks and a fumble recovery en-route to being named the Most Valuable Canadian of the 100th Grey Cup.

Video
2012 Highlights: Ricky Foley
While leaving a place where he’s enjoyed so much success was a difficult choice for the 30-year-old rush end to make, he’s excited to see what the next chapter in his career will bring.

“Honestly, it came down to personal touch. It’s hard to leave Toronto, it’s my hometown, we won the Grey Cup there last year,” he said.

“But (the Roughriders) made me feel at home. (Head Coach Corey Chamblin), (Defensive Coordinator Richie Hall) and Mr. Taman all made me feel like I was really wanted out here. They really believe in me.”

Throughout the process of choosing a destination for 2013 and beyond, Foley kept in touch with Geroy Simon who was acquired by the Riders in a shocking trade with the Lions in January.

Foley admits that like Simon, he lands in Saskatchewan with a chip on his shoulder hoping to prove to his doubters that he still has a lot to offer as a player.
“Speaking to Geroy through the whole process, we spoke about the opportunity here and we both have a bit of a chip on our shoulders right now. The teams that we used to play for might think that our best days are behind us or something,” he said.

“Saskatchewan has opened their arms and accepted us and I think they’re looking forward to us showing a few people what we have left,” he added.

Foley’s best season was in 2009 when he racked up a whopping 12 sacks and 51 tackles as a member of the BC Lions, winning Most Outstanding Canadian honours in the process.

Since then, however, Foley hasn’t quite been able to duplicate those numbers, collecting a total of 10 sacks in three seasons since then.

Despite the dip in his stats, Foley is still confident that he’ll be able to contribute in a positive fashion.

“The one thing I’ve learned as I’ve matured as a person and a player is that I was a little too focused on (stats) and my personal success in the past,” said Foley on the question of returning to his 2009 form.

“I’m not really focused on that; I know I’m a better player than I was in ’09 and I don’t think I’ve really had the chance to show that over the last few years of my career and I’m looking forward to that opportunity here.

“Whether it’s 12 sacks, five sacks or 20 sacks, I’m a better player and I think I’m going to show that next year for the Riders.”

just reviewed the CFL draft order for '13 and with no comment section with that story my comment appears here instead!! I like montreal's positions in the 6th rounder!!
March 04, 2013 - 1:18pm
als upcoming picks in the 2013 draft: #3, #5, #14, #23, #30, #32, #41 and #47!! extra picks from eric tillman ex-GM of the edmonton eskimos!!
March 05, 2013 - 6:01pm

seventeen11
Everyone who says Odell is better needs to remember Foley also doesn't get as many 15 yard penalties that extend opposing drives.

And besides only 2 seasons in Winnipeg with 11 and 13 sacks, Odell has never gotten more than 6 sacks a season.

And while Foley has only had 9 sacks in the past 2 years, he also got 69 tackles in 2011 and 35 this past season. Compared to Odell who had 13 sacks in 2011 and 6 this year, but only 27 and 23 tackles respectively.

Like Chamblin said Foley doesnt quit, I think he will be a good fit. Plus with George and Hawkins I think we got a good rotation.
March 02, 2013 - 12:35pm
it's not that willis is better then foley BUT how much does foley have left in his tank for the money paid!!
March 03, 2013 - 11:45am
seventeen11
Considering they are paying him less than either Willis or Shomari got... I think it could be a steal of a signing
March 05, 2013 - 10:55am
maybe a good signing BUT not a steal!!
March 05, 2013 - 5:50pm

waveman
he was mediocre at best, showed some emotion last couple games and stepped up so maybe a new venue gets him motivated again.
February 28, 2013 - 4:29pm

ridergirl13
Willis who?! Foley is a great canadian talent and the Riders are ecstatic to have him. I guess I watched a different GC game then the people out east because out here in the west, we saw Foley have a great game and he has the ring to prove it. Welcome to Riderville, Ricky!
February 27, 2013 - 10:10pm
BUT did nothing all year in TO!! one hell of a gamble!!
February 28, 2013 - 10:27am
ridergirl13
Every team this year has taken some gambles. Montreal is still counting on AC not to get injured. We'll just have to see who's gamble pays off in the end.
February 28, 2013 - 11:28am
RG13 your gamble is with a player that did nothing last year and sold you a bill of goods based on his a little above average effort in the GC!! where as the alouettes are not gambling with AC no matter what his age!! he led the CFL again last year from his QB position!! every team is 1 QB injury away from disaster!! oh like the green aren't counting on DD not to get injured!! "we'll just have to see who's gamble pays off in the end" maybe yours BUT not mine since AC isn't a gamble BUT a HOFer!!
February 28, 2013 - 7:49pm

wild horse
Another example of solid Canadian talent doing well in the CFL. Let's raise the salary cap so we can pay these guys. Has he got two GC rings ? Good Luck, Ricky Foley!!
February 27, 2013 - 3:36pm
LOL LOL LOL. you think the answer is to raise the salary cap? that's not the answer or issue!! the issue is FREE AGENCY...cause and effect!! the price "we" pay for a balanced league!!
February 27, 2013 - 7:59pm
wild horse
There are more ways to maintain parity than holding a Bargain-Basement Race to the Bottom. CFL players are grossly underpaid. Revenues have been up for 5 years. There will be a new TV contract or two. Then teams could hold on to valuable, veteran Non-Import players. Another issue is not being able to make competitive offers to players who want to atke a long shot at the NFL. Instead every year there is a Garage Sale.
March 05, 2013 - 5:48pm
WH: you still don't understand the system the way it works!! paying players more doesn't solve any problems!! with F/Agency players always have the choice of movement and with a larger salary cap nothing changes and the same situation remains!! think it thru more money changes nothing!!
March 06, 2013 - 11:16am

Ten sacks in three years and he wonders wy Toronto lost confidence in him regardless of his performance in the playoffs.
February 27, 2013 - 1:34pm
the ego of some players!! ricky will not make anyone in regina forget about odell willis!!
February 27, 2013 - 8:02pm
Strange that the Riders see him as an upgrade from Willis although he may be less of a distraction!
February 27, 2013 - 9:41pm
ramram95
you guys both sound like your a little worried about how sask had by far the best offseason of all the teams
March 04, 2013 - 12:01pm