Friday Night Clicks:
MONTREAL -- The Montreal Alouettes announced today that the pending trade for Mike Labinjo has been voided and that the Canadian defensive end's rights will be returned to Calgary.
"The Alouettes were looking forward to giving Mike Labinjo a chance to return to the field. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way today", said Alouettes vice president and general manager Jim Popp. "We thank Mike and the Calgary Stampeders for their patience as we went through a thorough process to see if the trade would work out. Mike was nothing but first class through the process and we wish him the best in his quest to return to the field soon."
Stipulations of the trade gave Montreal one week to finalize the agreement.
The Alouettes also announced today that they have granted Canadian centre Paul Lambert his request to be released after eight seasons.
"I personally want to thank Paul for his services as an Alouette. Paul has been a tremendous teammate and a first class person on and off the field. He is a joy to be around and full of laughter. I wish Paul, Pam, and family happiness in their future endeavors," said Popp.
Lambert missed a part of the 2010 season, including the East Final and Grey Cup with an injury to the arm that required surgery and had an additional surgery to his knee in the offseason. He had been replaced by Luc Brodeur-Jourdain and Andrew Woodruff. The Alouettes also have four young non-import offensive linemen in the wings in Dylan Steenbergen, Kristian Matte, Ryan Bomben, and recently signed John Hashem. Montreal has import offensive lineman Chris Pino into the mix as well.
The Montreal Alouettes would like to thank Paul Lambert for all the years of service on the football field and in the community. He started his career with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and eventually signed as a free agent with the Alouettes. He played in five Grey Cups with Montreal, winning two, and will forever be a part of the family.