The replacement: Sanders signs with Stamps | CFL.ca | Official Site of the Canadian Football League

Derek Mortensen/CFL.ca

CALGARY -- Just moments after the Stamps traded Larry Taylor to Montreal, the team announced the signing of free agent returner Jock Sanders to a deal.

As per team policy, terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Sanders, 25, spent the past two seasons with the Saskatchewan Roughriders after making his CFL debut with the BC Lions in 2011.

Sanders saw action in 12 regular-season games for Saskatchewan in 2013 and accumulated 1,485 all-purpose yards. The total included 787 yards on 35 kickoff returns (an average of 22.5 yards per return), 505 yards on 64 punt returns (7.9-yard average), 78 rushing yards on 21 carries and 115 yards and one touchdown on nine receptions. The kickoff-return and punt-return yardage totals were both career highs.

The St. Petersburg, Fla., native played all three post-season contests for the Riders including the Grey Cup, during which he accumulated 72 yards in punt returns. In the three games, he had 75 rushing yards, 126 punt-return yards and 119 kickoff-return yards. He also made three catches.

"Jock is a dynamic and versatile player who has been a threat both on special teams and on offence during his time in the CFL," said Hufnagel. "I'm very pleased that he has chosen to join the Stampeders and I look forward to seeing him in action with the Red and White."

In 22 career regular-season games in the CFL, Sanders has amassed 2,694 all-purpose yards including 1,287 on kickoff returns, 773 on punt returns, 373 on receptions and 261 on rushing carries.

In college, Sanders played four seasons at West Virginia and became the Mountaineers' all-time leader in receptions with 206. He amassed 3,398 all-purpose yards at West Virginia including 1,980 receiving, 622 rushing, 281 on punt returns and 515 on kickoff returns. He had 20 career touchdowns including 14 receiving majors.

"I'm very happy to be a Stampeder," said Sanders. "From my time in Saskatchewan, I have the utmost respect for Calgary and the organization and I'm glad to be a part of that now. The Stampeders have been a very successful team for quite a few years and I'm looking forward to doing whatever I can to contribute to a championship."

Mcboyes
Rider fans are going to have to be patient after winning the Grey Cup last year. Saskatchewan spent a lot of money and I don't think the league is happy with their overspending the salary cap. With DD this team has a bright future but contending for another GC will take a couple of years.
February 25, 2014 - 9:42pm
@M: "their overspending the salary cap" if true then the saskatchewan roughriders CHEATED!! now that's really something to be proud of!!
February 26, 2014 - 10:09am
QuickdrawMcgraw
So how much did Riders overspend?I recall Riders GM saying they might be over by less then $100,00.00.And that has happened to teams before.So not really that big of a deal.
February 26, 2014 - 11:02am
QuickdrawMcgraw
Ha nice try al...Teams can go over the salary cap if they choose...They just have to be prepared to pay the CFL office to do it....Just as the Als did on 2007.....
February 26, 2014 - 11:13am

Sharky99
Oh oh the Green and White are without a #1 RB now that Sanders signed with the stamps, Garrett is long gone and Sheets is in the wind to the Raider nation. Where do the Riders go from here?
February 25, 2014 - 8:44pm
Nowhere to go but down with the player drain that the Riders have had the past couple of months!
February 26, 2014 - 12:06am
Sharky99
Exactly just ask Ricky Foley …. Grey Cup with the Argos 2012 and Riders 2013 … wait does this mean the Butler signing is an omen for the Tabbies … nah most likely the ghost of Henry Burris and the arch nemesis Ray stop that from happening.
February 26, 2014 - 11:07pm

hufnagel busy day!! taylor to montreal and brings sanders to calgary!! the way everybody is jumping the green ship you would never know they actually were happy last season winning the GC!!
February 25, 2014 - 7:48pm
RedDog44
With success comes opportunity to progress and display your talents to the world. It was the GC victory that provided the chance to better oneself.
February 26, 2014 - 9:08am
@RD44: you need to talk to geroy simon about your view point!!
February 27, 2014 - 7:49pm

DaveYYC
Going into the offseason, I was hoping the Stamps would trade Taylor for a draft pick, to let Clifton Smith become the primary KR/PR, while providing a decent receiving option out of the backup (as backup RB). I was quite surprised when the Stamps let Smith leave as a free agent (signed by Sask).

This is a great signing. Sanders is an up-and-coming KR/PR/backup RB, who is 3 years younger than both Taylor & Smith.

Essentially, the Stamps traded Taylor & Smith for Sanders, while also improving their 2014 5th round pick by 3 spots (plus conditional 2015 picks). Great series of moves by Huff!
February 25, 2014 - 7:37pm
genre slur
Agreed on Peanut Smith, I was hoping to see him get more playing time. Yet I'm glad how this has settled out. I really respect Popp & Higgins, so I'm happy that LT is again a Lark. As well, I've been continually impressed by the development of Sanders, so this overall looks like a nice shakedown -- excepting the potential for Clifton Smith to become a top-shelf player, thereby becoming a gopher hole around which our Horseys must carefully tread : )
February 26, 2014 - 1:35am