Toronto adds veteran defender Etienne Boulay | CFL.ca | Official Site of the Canadian Football League

TORONTO -- The Toronto Argonauts signed non-import defensive back Etienne Boulay on Monday, one month after he was released by the Montreal Alouettes.

A 28-year-old native of Montreal, Boulay became a fan favourite with the Als during his six-year tenure with the team, which included two Grey Cup championships to go with 127 defensive tackles and 11 interceptions.

He was forced out of action for most of last year with a concussion.

"It has been difficult", Boulay told the Montreal Gazette Sunday night. "When I was released, a couple of teams called (almost immediately) and I hoped to get a deal done. But that wasn't the case, and I had to stay motivated. It was hard when the season started."

"A lot of teams had doubts about my head. I'm eager to get on the field and show I can hit", he continued.

The former 16th overall CFL draft pick had 43 tackles on special teams with the Als, where he'll be expected to play with the Argos.

no surprise the argos picked him up BUT will be no game changer!!
July 16, 2012 - 10:27pm

GoTi-Cats
I'm thinking this is going to be another example of a good player let go only to come back strong with a rival. I'll enjoy it if an Ontario team takes it to the Als with one of their own ex-players.
July 16, 2012 - 8:13pm
just proves montreal knows talent!! check the rosters of every team and see how many ex-als each team has and be surprised!!
July 17, 2012 - 11:19am
GoTi-Cats
I don't doubt it ar. It's fine with me if they pick 'em, train 'em, then dump 'em off as long as we get some of the cast-offs and they help us win like "little ac" did last season.
July 18, 2012 - 1:38pm
BUT every player in montreal added is better then the 1 he replaces except for KRs/PRs owens and taylor!!
July 19, 2012 - 9:34am

no surprise BUT will be no game changer in hogtown!!
July 16, 2012 - 7:26pm

cflsteve
What a nice grab by the Argos. His concussion problems last year and the defensive philosophy change had him realeased. I am a little surprised that he has lasted this long, perhaps his salary may have something to do with it. I think the Argos are fairly happy with their D backfield and with an all Canadian O line along with Durie at slot and Foley at DE the content is covered for starters. Boulay however is a super special teams player on coverage units where the Argos are in desperate help. I think you will find his uses primarily there as the return teams around the league have exploded.Look for him to take control of the coverage units and turn them around. The Argos will have him strictly focus on that. He will be a game changer their with all his energy and focus on special teams.
July 16, 2012 - 2:46pm