HISTORY >> Grey Cup >> 1957 | CFL.ca | Official Site of the Canadian Football League
HISTORY >> Grey Cup >> 1957

1957 – Hamilton Tiger-Cats 32, Winnipeg Blue Bombers 7

Venue: Varsity Stadium
Location: Toronto, ON
Date: November 30
Attendance: 27,051
Winning Coach: Jim Trimble

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Winnipeg Blue Bombers battled for the Grey Cup for the second time in five seasons. After three years of Western supremacy, the Ticats returned the trophy to Eastern Canada in a rout of the Bombers.

The Tiger-Cats scored two touchdowns in the opening 10 minutes, added three more in the fourth quarter and were ahead 32-0 before the Blue Bombers broke the shutout with less than four minutes remaining.

The Ticats feasted on turnovers, as Hamilton players recovered six Winnipeg fumbles, and intercepted a pair of passes.

Ray Bawel put the Tiger-Cats on the scoreboard in the opening quarter, returning Dennis Mendyk’s fumble 50 yards for a touchdown. He was a standout on defence, intercepting two passes and recovering another fumble later in the game on the Hamilton four-yard line.

Less than four minutes later, a fumble by Stave Canakes on the kickoff was recovered by Gino Denoble. Four plays later, Bernie Faloney ran six yards to put Hamilton in front 13-0.

The score remained this way until the fourth quarter, when the Hamilton offence exploded for 19 points. Gerry McDougall scored from the 27-yard line, shaking off a couple of tacklers and carrying a third across the goal line.

Paul Dekker’s recovery of a Winnipeg fumble moments later set up the first of two touchdowns by Cookie Gilchrist.

Barry Roseborough threw a 41-yard pass to Ernie Pitts to put the Bombers on the Hamilton 15 to set up Winnipeg’s only touchdown. Roseborough threw a short pass to Dennis Mendyk who ran 10 to the end zone.

One of the most bizarre moments in Grey Cup history took place in the fourth quarter. Bawel intercepted a pass in front of Ernie Pitts and as he raced down the sideline, a fan who happened to be in the vicinity stuck out his foot and tripped him. The referee penalized the Bombers half the distance to the goal line, giving Hamilton a first down on the Winnipeg 21. Cookie Gilchrist ran 16 yards for a touchdown two plays later. The fan was able to slip into the stands unpunished.

The Tiger-Cats made the short trip home from Toronto to Steeltown, where 25,000 welcomed their conquering heroes at Market Square in Hamilton.

Fan Poll
Who's your pick to win the 103rd Grey Cup presented by Shaw?
1) Edmonton Eskimos