HISTORY >> Grey Cup >> 1999 | CFL.ca | Official Site of the Canadian Football League
HISTORY >> Grey Cup >> 1999

1999 – Hamilton Tiger-Cats 32, Calgary Stampeders 21

Venue: B.C. Place Stadium
Location: Vancouver, BC
Date: November 28
Attendance: 45,118
Winning Coach: Ron Lancaster
Most Valuable Player: Danny McManus, QB, Hamilton
Most Valuable Canadian: Mike Morreale, SB, Hamilton

For the first time in 21 years there was a Grey Cup rematch as the Hamilton Tiger-Cats hoped to avenge a loss in the 1998 title game against the Calgary Stampeders. Unlike the previous year, the game turned into a rout as Hamilton became the only city to be home to a Grey Cup champion in each decade of the 1900s.

It remained scoreless until late in the first quarter when Hamilton’s Ronald Williams scored on a one-yard carry. Earlier in the drive, Williams had a 35-yard reception. Moments later, Paul Osbaldiston kicked a 46-yard field goal to put the Ticats in front 10-0.

After missing on a 47-yard attempt for a single point, Osbaldiston was successful from 41 yards out to put the Ticats in front 14-0. Things then went from bad to worse for the Stampeders. Joe Montford stripped the ball loose from Calgary quarterback Dave Dickenson, which was recovered by Hamilton’s Tim Terry. McManus then hit Darren Flutie for a nine-yard touchdown, putting the Ticats in front by three converted touchdowns.

It took 18:17 of playing time for the Stampeders offence to gain their initial first down of the contest and to cross midfield for the first time. Calgary gained only three first downs in the first 30 minutes as it was held pointless.

Down 22-0 in the third quarter, the Stampeders finally came to life. Dickenson completed a 57-yard pass to Travis Moore, followed by a seven-yard touchdown completion by Vince Danielsen.

Osbaldiston kicked another field goal, but the Stampeders continued to show signs of a comeback when Dickenson hit Allen Pitts for an 18-yard touchdown. Dickenson had a gutsy run of 10 yards earlier in the drive. Calgary trailed 25-14 after three quarters.

Twenty-two seconds into the fourth quarter, the Ticats put the game on ice. McManus completed a 34-yard pass to Archie Amerson and another to Tony Akins spanning 28 yards. The McManus-Flutie combination then struck again for a seven-yard touchdown.

The Stampeders had one last gasp with 3:13 remaining as Duane Forde powered his way into the end zone on a one-yard carry.

McManus shredded the Calgary defence, finishing the game with 347 passing yards. Dickenson was hurt by an injured shoulder, but managed 321 yards of offence, albeit only 50 in a poor opening half.

It was Hamilton’s first Grey Cup title since 1986.

Fan Poll
Who's your pick to win the 103rd Grey Cup presented by Shaw?
1) Edmonton Eskimos