November 10, 2005

Grey Cup Memories: 1952

1952 – Toronto Argonauts 21, Edmonton Eskimos 11

The Toronto Argonauts broke from recent tradition and faced the Edmonton Eskimos in the annual classic. Although the Argos would hold on to win the game and their 10th Grey Cup championship, it was the passing of the torch as the Eskimos would end the decade with three titles of their own. An Argo would not sip from the silver mug again until 1983.

The Eskimos took a 5-0 lead in the first quarter. Rod Pantages hauled in a short pass and ran 73 yards before he fumbled the ball out of touch on the Argonauts one-yard line. This moved the Eskimos back to the Toronto 10, but two plays later, Normie Kwong scored his first of two majors on the day.

Doug Pyzer, playing in just his second game in a month due to a knee injury, responded with a 75-yard run to help set up the tying score. Nobby Wirkowski sneaked across from the Edmonton one-yard line to knot things up at 5-5.

Toronto's Red Ettinger booted a field goal to put the Argos up for good. Before the end of the second quarter, Billy Bass scored to put the Argonauts up 15-5.

The Eskimos drew within four points in the third quarter. A goal line stand held the Argonauts on the Edmonton two-yard line. A fake kick from behind their own goal line allowed Jim Chambers to race to the Edmonton 35. Rollin Prather and Rollie Miles carried the Eskimos to the Toronto eight-yard line before Kwong reached the end zone for his second touchdown.

With six minutes to go and trailing 15-11, the Eskimos began from the Toronto 54 and marched their way towards the end zone. Miles carried for 14 yards, Pantages for 11 and Miles again for 13. With the Eskimos deep in Toronto territory, Claude Arnold couldn't find an open receiver on a pass attempt and threw to the ground, which was ruled a fumble in the early 1950s.

Toronto's Ed Soergel intercepted a pass at the Edmonton 36, setting up Toronto's final touchdown. Zeke O'Connor made a finger tip catch on a pass from Wirkowski, and with no Edmonton defender within reach, ran for the easy score.

It was Frank Filchock's last game as Edmonton's head coach as he was fired shortly after the final.