The grass has been removed and the new FieldTurf is now being installed in Commonwealth Stadium. Here are some facts on the new FieldTurf:
• The new surface is FieldTurf Duraspine Pro, the newest version of this product and the same surface that was installed this spring at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro Massachusetts, home of the New England Patriots. 21 of 32 NFL teams play and/or practice on FieldTurf.
The New Turf being installed at Commonwelath Stadium
• The field area is 109,908 square feet (10,215 square meters)
• A total of 35 rolls will be installed, each roll is 15′ wide by 239′
• The seams are stitched together, not glued
• There is a “shock pad” underneath the playing surface that provides additional cushioning
• 12400m3 of existing soil and turf was removed from CWS = 1900 truckloads were removed
• Had to haul back 14600m3 bottom ash = 33m3Truck loads of bottom ash added = +440 loads
• Infill material comprising a mix of rubber and sand. Sand = 340 tons, rubber = 165 tons i.e. total of 505 tons of infill. ( 5.6lb/sft)
• A mix of sand and cryogenic (recycled) rubber pellets keep the grass fibres upright and help give a natural grass look and feel to the surface and ensures excellent playability in all weather conditions.
• Positive environmental impact. Eliminates need for water and fertilizers. Natural grass surface was typically replaced every year, sometimes more frequently. FieldTurf has a life expectancy of 15 years.
Get all the top stories from across the league delivered to your inbox.