- FREE AGENCY
TORONTO — There’s a new QB leading the REDBLACKS this week, as Jonathon Jennings will start for Ottawa against the Blue Bombers.
Despite an injury scare last week, Trevor Harris was a full participant at practice on Tuesday.
Is Manny Arceneaux ready to return to the field and make his Riders debut?
Plus, Andrew Harris hit a milestone in his CFL career, surpassing 8,000 yards rushing.
All that and more in a busy week of Checking Down:
Jump to team:
|BC | Calgary | Edmonton | Saskatchewan | Winnipeg | Hamilton | Toronto | Ottawa | Montreal|
– The BC Lions have signed receiver/kick returner Ryan Lankford, the team announced on Monday (CFL.ca).
– He’s used to opportunities knocking and the shot Ryan Lankford is getting with the BC Lions is nothing new for the receiver/kick returner (Matt Baker, BCLions.com).
– The BC Lions are struggling in multiple aspects, but after a 1-4 start, what’s one quick fix that could help? The writers weigh in with The Weekly Say (CFL.ca).
– Defensive end Matt Boesen is set to be added to the six-game injured list (knee). Sukh Chungh (tricep) and Joel Figueroa (ankle) did not practice on Monday but are expected to play on Saturday (Farhan Lalji, TSN).
– Ricky Ray will be honoured during a special halftime ceremony on September 20 when the Eskimos host the Hamilton Tiger-Cats as he is added to the Eskimos Wall of Honour (CFL.ca).
– Trevor Harris is making a strong early season push for Most Outstanding Player, but does the Eskimos’ pivot have some company at the top? (CFL.ca).
– The Esks announced on Tuesday that Canadian offensive lineman Matt O’Donnell has been placed on the six-game injured list (Esks.com).
– In other roster news, the team announced that they have added National offensive lineman J’Michael Deane to the active roster and National offensive lineman Kwabena Asare to the practice roster (Esks.com).
– Despite an injury scare last week against the BC Lions, Trevor Harris was a full participant at Eskimos practice on Tuesday (Dave Campbell, 630CHED).
– The Waggle’s Davis Sanchez says that second-year defensive back Tre Roberson has taken a gigantic step forward following a solid rookie campaign (CFL.ca).
– Coming off a Week 5 loss, the Calgary Stampeders will be looking to clean up their game when they take on the Toronto Argonauts on Thursday night (CFL.ca).
– After a few mistakes on special teams against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, the Calgary Stampeders are looking for a quick bounce-back performance from their special teams unit (Danny Austin, Calgary Sun).
– Ka’Deem Carey’s numbers weren’t spectacular but that was only half the story of the running back’s performance against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats last week (Danny Austin, Calgary Sun).
– Defensive back Brandon Smith and wide receiver Juwan Brescacin appear very close to returning to the lineup after missing the last two games (Danny Austin, Calgary Sun).
– The Riders added American defensive lineman Earl Okine and National defensive back Jacob Dearborn to the team’s practice roster (Riderville.com).
– After the team’s bye week, quarterback Zach Collaros remains on the six-game injured list and was not at practice on Tuesday (Claire Hanna, TSN).
– Nick Marshall was taking reps at practice on Tuesday after sitting out of the game against Calgary. Receiver Manny Arceneaux was taking reps with the starting offence (Claire Hanna, TSN).
WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS
– The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have added American linebacker Korey Jones to the team’s practice roster (CFL.ca).
– Running back Andrew Harris hit a milestone in his career, passing 8k rushing yards and that number is only going to continue to grow (Ed Tait, BlueBombers.com).
– An impressive outing against the Argos helped Andrew Harris to be named one of the league’s Shaw Top Peformers of the week (CFL.ca).
– The CFL issued a statement Tuesday after learning of an arbitrator’s decision regarding the pending suspension of Hamilton Tiger-Cats Simoni Lawrence (CFL.ca).
– After a losing streak spanning 10 years, the Ticats finally solved the Calgary Stampeders. CFL.ca’s Matthew Cauz takes a walk down memory lane (Matthew Cauz, CFL.ca).
– A three touchdown performance from Brandon Banks earned the speedy receiver a Shaw Top Performer nod after Week 5 (CFL.ca).
– With a season-high 13 targets, Derel Walker finally got involved in the Argos offence in Week 5. Will this be the new norm for Walker? (The Fantasy Podcast, CFL.ca).
– The Toronto Argonauts are feeling at home in Calgary, as the team stayed West to practice this week ahead of Thursday’s contest against the Stampeders (Frank Zicarelli, Toronto Sun).
– Roster moves are normal for any CFL team but those moves may be more dramatic for the Argonauts if they don’t right the ship soon (Frank Zicarelli, Toronto Sun).
– With an injury to starting quarterback Dominique Davis, off-season free agent signing Jonathon Jennings is set to make his REDBLACKS debut against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (CFL.ca).
– The team announced the addition of American wide receiver DeVonte Dedmon on Monday (OttawaREDBLACKS.com).
– Injuries sideline Davis, safety Antoine Pruneau, receiver Seth Coate and defensive back Jonathan Rose as the REDBLACKS head to Winnipeg this weekend (Tim Baines, Postmedia).
– Running back John Crockett lined up with the first-team offence on Tuesday (Tim Baines, Postmedia).
– The Montreal Alouettes announced a series of transactions on Tuesday, including the addition of Felix Faubert-Lussier and Fabion Foote (CFL.ca).
– With two straight wins under their belt, the Montreal Alouettes have started climbing the Nissan Titan Power Rankings (CFL.ca).
– The Alouettes announced on Sunday that they have parted ways with general manager Kavis Reed (CFL.ca).
– CFL.ca’s Chris O’Leary discusses the timing of Kavis Reed being relieved of his GM duties in Montreal, as well as what it means for the organization long term (CFL.ca).
– How does the Montreal Alouettes’ front office shakeup impact the team on the field? More in Pat Steinberg’s MMQB (CFL.ca).
– Montreal announced the release of veteran returner Stefan Logan on Wednesday (CFL.ca).
– Receiver DeVier Posey did not practice on Tuesday (calf injury) and head coach Khari Jones said that he doubts the pass-catcher will play on Saturday (Didier Ormejuste, RDS).