- FREE AGENCY
TORONTO — Bombers running back Andrew Harris‘ status for the Bombers contest on Friday night is unknown.
Taylor Loffler appears to have suffered a torn ACL.
Plus, what is going on with James Wilder Jr. and the Toronto Argonauts?
The latest news and notes from Week 11 in this week’s Checking Down:
Jump to team:
|BC | Calgary | Edmonton | Saskatchewan | Winnipeg | Hamilton | Toronto | Ottawa | Montreal|
– They haven’t been on the winning end of games so far this season but quarterback Mike Reilly says there is still pride in the BC Lions locker room (BCLions.com).
– Edmonton will be facing a Winnipeg Blue Bombers squad with a new face under centre when the two teams meet on Friday night and aren’t worried about the hype around the West’s first place team (CFL.ca).
– Five total touchdowns and a season-high 420 yards through the air earned quarterback Trevor Harris Shaw Top Performer honours after Week 10 (CFL.ca).
– He’s transitioned into a full time role in the Eskimos secondary this season and Money Hunter has ended up being a good investment for Edmonton (Esks.com).
– Head coach Craig Dickenson said that Johnson is still dealing with an ankle issue and is not ready to start practicing (Britton Gray, 980CJME).
– Kicker Brett Lauther and defensive end AC Leonard returned to practice this week (Clarie Hanna, CTV Regina).
– Despite returning to practice, whether or not Lauther kicks this weekend against the Ottawa REDBLACKS is still being evaluated (Murray McCormick, Regina Leader-Post).
WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS
– Andrew Harris is well on his way to solidifying himself as one of the best Canadian running backs to ever play in the CFL, making history last week (Pat Steinberg, CFL.ca).
– Harris was also not made available to the media on Wednesday, and questions are now raised about his availability for Friday’s game in Edmonton (Bob Irving, 680CJOB).
– Receiver Drew Wolitarsky did not participate in practice on Tuesday and Canadian WR Daniel Petermann was practice in his place (Darrin Bauming, TSN1290).
– Adding Crompton to the staff was about experience for the Argos, as HC Corey Chamblin believes that Crompton’s time in the CFL adds a different layer to the role to help them try and turn around their 1-7 season (Matthew Scianitti, TSN).
– After his record-setting field goal streak came to a close last week, kicker Lewis Ward isn’t going to approach the games any differently than he had before (OttawaREDBLACKS.com).
– Joe Paopao will take over play calling duties for the REDBLACKS, assuming the role from Winston October (Tim Baines, Ottawa Sun).
– With Paopao now calling plays in Ottawa, TSN analyst Henry Burris is expecting him to simplify the REDBLACKS offence as they look to get back on track (TSN1200).
– Vernon Adams Jr.just keeps winning football games and has made a name for himself in the Rockstar QB Index (CFL.ca).
– Montreal Gazette reporter Herb Zurkowsky joined TSN690 to discuss the swagger that the Alouettes have been playing with as of late, especially following their thrilling OT winner over Calgary (TSN690).
– Safety Taylor Loffler left last week’s game with an injury and it appears fellow Canadian Bo Lokombo will be his replacement (Herb Zurkowsky, Montreal Gazette).
– It appears that Loffer has suffered a torn ACL in his left knee (Didier Ormejuste, RDS).