James Wilder Jr. is back on a CFL team, signing a one-year deal with the Montreal Alouettes.
Speaking of Montreal, the team signed QB Vernon Adams Jr. to a three-year extension.
Plus, as free agency looms, teams are still locking up players with expiring contracts.
The latest news and notes from the off-season in this week’s Checking Down:
Jump to team:
|BC | Calgary | Edmonton | Saskatchewan | Winnipeg | Hamilton | Toronto | Ottawa | Montreal|
– With a new contract in hand, Grymes believes the Lions are building something special in B.C. (Matt Baker, BCLions.com).
– In more roster news, the Lions signed DB T.J. Lee through the 2021 season (CFL.ca).
– They also signed offensive lineman Hunter Steward to a contract extension that will see him stay with the franchise through 2021 (CFL.ca).
– In a tweet, quarterback Will Arndt announced he would be signing with the Lions (TSN.ca).
– The Esks inked offensive lineman David Beard to a contract extension that will see him stick with the Green and Gold through the 2022 (CFL.ca).
– The Edmonton Eskimos ongoing relationship with Canada’s Inuit community took them to Inuvik in early January for the Sunrise Festival (CFL.ca).
– According to report from ESPN’s Adam Schefter, defensive back Tre Roberson has signed a contract with the NFL’s Chicago Bears (CFL.ca).
– The Riders officially announced the staff that will work alongside head coach Craig Dickenson for the 2020 season (CFL.ca).
– Free agency looks a little different for players that work as their own agents, like Riders receiver Kenny Stafford (Chris O’Leary, CFL.ca).
WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS
– The Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ choice to go with Zach Collaros is one that could shape the 2020 off-season, but what should the Blue and Gold expect from their new full-time starter? (Marshall Ferguson, CFL.ca).
– Zach Collaros‘ unprecedented story gets its latest chapter after the veteran QB signed a two-year deal with the Bombers, unseating Matt Nichols as the starter in the process (Chris O’Leary, CFL.ca).
– Choosing to release Nichols was a ‘gut-wrenching’ decision for the Blue Bombers (Paul Friesen, CFL.ca).
– Ja’Gared Davis has only known how to win over his four-year tenure in the CFL, and following a big year in 2019, he’s poised to give opposing offences issues again in 2020 (CFL.ca).
– Hamilton added a trio of American players on Thursday (Ticats.ca).
– With a new power structure in place, the Toronto Argonauts are looking to move past a forgettable 2019 season and build back to being a championship contender (CFL.ca).
– While being a standout between the lines, Montreal Alouettes receiver Eugene Lewis has also taken time to help any teammates that need to talk about issues away from the field (CFL.ca).
– For #BellLetsTalk day, Lewis shares his story of watching his father deal with and overcome depression and how it has motivated him to be a better athlete, but also to but also to help others (The Waggle, CFL.ca)
– Adams Jr. is looking to take a leading role with the Als after signing a multi-year extension to stay in Montreal (CFL.ca).
– In more roster news, the Als signed a trio of Canadians including D.J. Lalama (CFL.ca).
– It’s a homecoming for Barron Miles, who returns to Montreal as the Alouettes’ defensive backs coach (Herb Zurkowski, Montreal Gazette).