Week 3 Conditioning Drill: Tic-Tac-Toe
Location: Indoor or Outdoor
Equipment: 6 toilet paper rolls (bean bags or alternative), 1 (or more) footballs, chalk or tape
Targeted Skill: Thinking on the run
Sport Rationale: In football, players must make decisions quickly on the run
- Using chalk/tape or other, create a large tic-tac-toe board on the ground
- Have the participants line up 5-10 yards away
- Have the first participant on each team attempt to throw a football at a designated target, once successful that individual will run to the tic tac toe board and place their bean bag in a square
- They then run back and attempt to hit the target with the football again before placing their next bean bag
- Participants cannot place a bean bag without successfully hitting the target first
- The object of the game is to get three bean bags in a row
- If all the bean bags have been placed but no winner has been decided, the next person to run down can move one of their own bean bags to a new square
- This continues until one team wins. Then the teams reset and try again.
Modifications: If more than 2 people, you can create teams and alternate turns hitting the target and placing the bean bag.
Coaching Tips & Terms:
Teamwork: Remind players that they need to work together in order to be successful.
Thinking on the Run: Players should be thinking where they should be placing the bean bag as they run towards the hoop.
Active Arms: Tell the athletes when they are sprinting to have active arms because this will help with increasing speed.