NOTICE OF POLICY CHANGE
- We have appended an updated Cookies Policyto explain what cookies are and how we use them.
- “We”, “us” or “our” refers to CFL and Member Clubs
- “Personal Information” means information about an individual that can be used to identify them.
3. Personal Information We May Collect
When you interact with us through our Services, we may collect data, including Personal Information from you or from other sources.
Data that we collect may be information that you directly provide to us, such as Personal Information you provide when you use our Services, or information that is passively or automatically collected from you, such as information collected from your browser or device. Please consult our Cookies Policy for more information about the types of cookies and similar technologies used on our Services and how that information is managed.
The data we collect primarily includes:
- Data that you provide directly when you register for, or use, the Services. This data will vary, but typically consists of name, email address, postal address, phone number and other similar contact data. We also receive data from the communications you send to us, such as customer service inquiries, product reviews and other feedback regarding the Services.
- User credentials, such as username, password, password hints and similar security information used to create an account and authenticate users of the Services.
- Demographic data, such as age, gender, country and language preference.
- Payment data, such as credit card information and billing address.
- Device data, such as type of device, operating system and other software installed on the device, device settings, IP address, device identifiers and error reports.
- Usage data, such as the programs and features you access, items you purchase, and the timing, frequency and duration of your interactions through the Services or other websites. If you engage in online betting, this may include your betting activity on other companies’ sites.
- Location data, such as IP addresses transmitted from your device.
- Information about your interests and preferences, such as your favourite clubs and players, your home city or your communications preferences. In addition to what you provide directly, we may infer your interests and preferences from other data we collect, such as the content and advertisements you interact with while using the Services.
- Third party integrations. If you connect your use of the Services through a third-party (including a social media platform), the third party may share certain information from your third party account with us. As their practices may differ, we recommend you consult their privacy policies for information on what they may transfer or disclose to us.
- Other third-party data, such as data from our affiliates, partners or vendors, data brokers or public sources. For example, if a third party runs a contest, they might share information about the people who entered the contest in accordance with their own privacy notices. We also might receive Personal Information from online ticket websites in accordance with their own privacy notices and/or through agreements with such online ticket websites, so we can see who has bought tickets to which game.
The CFL and Member Clubs have harmonized their Privacy Policies such that a Member Club or the CFL may collect Personal Information from a Member Club or the CFL for any of the limited purposes set out below (see: “5. How the CFL and Member Clubs May Share and Use Personal Information”).
4. How the CFL or a Member Club May Use Personal Information
Please be advised that the CFL or a Member Club may use Personal Information for the following purposes. This section does not permit the CFL or a Member Club to share or disclose Personal Information for any of the following purposes.
The CFL or a Member Club may use Personal Information to provide services. We use the data we collect or receive to provide you with the Services you use or request. For example, we use this information to:
- Create accounts;
- Process transactions;
- Provide technical support and respond to user inquiries;
- Comply with legal obligations;
- Administer your participation in our events, contests, sweepstakes, games, or promotions;
- Notify you about updates to our Services or send other communications that are relevant to your use of our Services; and
- Protect you and us by enhancing our ability to detect and prevent fraud and potentially illegal activities in connection with our Services and otherwise enforce our rights.
EU Residents: your Personal Information will be processed for this purpose under the lawful bases of:
- Performance of a contract;
- Legitimate interests; and/or
- Compliance with a legal obligation.
The CFL or a Member Club may use the data we collect and receive to improve our operation and Services. We also use the data we collect or receive to provide content you may find relevant and interesting and to maintain and upgrade our operations and our Services. For example, we may use this information to:
- Solicit, process, review and make use of input and feedback;
- Identify and address technical issues on our Services; and
- Customize your experiences based on location information or your online activities, including the content you view, the products you bid on or purchase, other Services of ours you use, and other information we collect or receive.
EU Residents: your Personal Information will be processed for this purpose under the lawful basis of:
- Legitimate interests.
The CFL or a Member Club may use the data we collect and receive to enhance and personalize advertising and marketing. We also use the data we collect and receive to send you promotional communications. For example, we may use this information:
- To send you electronic and other marketing messages about our Services, our venues, sponsors, our community and charitable endeavors, or other third-party business partners that may be tailored to your preferences and interests – for example, content related to your favorite club.
- On an online platform to allow advertisers to bid in real time to place ads on our Services
- To conduct analytical and/or market research to enable us to improve the goods and services we offer.
EU Residents: your Personal Information will be processed for this purpose under the lawful bases of:
- Consent, where we send you direct marketing (except where we are marketing our own products and/or services which are similar to those in which you have previously purchased from us and several further conditions are met); and/or
- Legitimate interests for all other marketing.
The CFL or a Member Club may use the data we collect and receive to anonymize you. We may take your Personal Information and anonymize it, after which we may use it and share it for our analytics services (for instance, to find out the types of people who use certain Services), and to provide insights for ourselves and third parties.
EU Residents: your Personal Information will be processed for this purpose under the lawful basis of:
- Legitimate interests.
The CFL or a Member Club may also use the data we collect and receive for other purposes that will be described to you at the point of collection or for which you provide your consent.
5. How the CFL and Member Clubs May Share and Use Personal Information
The CFL and Member Clubs may share Personal Information with each other for the following purposes:
- To conduct data analytics, consumer and/or market research related to the goods and services we offer. This may involve merging Personal Information derived from multiple sources, including Member Clubs, for profile compilation purposes.
- To utilize data analytics, consumer and/or market research for the purpose of improving Services.
To send tailored communications and other marketing messages to select recipients about Services and other offers.
6. How We May Share Personal Information with Third Parties
We may share data we collect with select third parties for the purposes set out below.
We share Personal Information with third party service providers supporting our business operations. We use third party service providers to:
- Deliver our products and services.
- Store and protect our data.
- Obtain advice from third party advisers, such as lawyers and accountants.
- Conduct market studies and data analytics.
- Host, develop, monitor and operate our Services.
- Process payments.
- Promote our products and services, including through contests, online advertising, and other communications.
We disclose Personal Information about your online activities (such as device, usage or location data) to our advertising and analytics partners. This information may be shared alone or in combination with information collected by cookies and similar tracking technology. We and our partners use this information to perform analytics about use of the Services and deliver personalized ads to you. Our partners may use the Personal Information we provide to them for their own purposes (including advertising) as well. These partners are:
- Meta (formerly Facebook)
- Genius Sports
- [NTD: insert any other partners here that may use the PI CFL provides them for their own purposes, e.g. advertisers.]
For more information about this and how to control the Personal Information we share with our partners, see our Cookies Policy.
We may disclose the data we collect and receive when necessary as part of a legal process or to protect our interests. This includes disclosing your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- Comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process.
- Protect the safety and security of our fans or our Services.
- Prevent fraud, abuse or other unlawful or unauthorized activities.
- Protect the rights or property of us or third parties, including enforcing the terms of our agreements.
- Consider or proceed with a business transaction involving the CFL or one or more Member Clubs.
The third parties we share your Personal Information with operate across the globe. This means that your Personal Information may be handled outside your home province, state, or country. When your Personal Information is handled outside of your home jurisdiction, it may be available to law enforcement or other government authorities under the laws of the jurisdiction where your Personal Information is handled.
7. Security Safeguards for Personal Information
We have adopted administrative and technical measures to help protect against loss, misuse, interference, disclosure, destruction, alteration and unauthorized access to the data you provide to us. We also maintain reasonable procedures to help ensure that such data is reliable for its intended use and is accurate, complete and current.
Please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Despite our efforts to ensure that unauthorized third parties will not access or obtain your Personal Information through its Web site, complete confidentiality and security cannot currently be guaranteed on the Internet. The provision of services and communications via the Internet are subject to a risk of interception, loss, or alteration. As a result, while we strive to protect your information and privacy, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you disclose or transmit to the Services and cannot be responsible for the theft, destruction, or inadvertent disclosure of your information. By using our web services, you acknowledge and agree that we cannot be held responsible for damages resulting from the transmission of confidential information or Personal Information over the Internet and that such communications are at your own risk. This does not affect any liability we might have under the GDPR in respect of the Personal Information of EU citizens. In the event of a breach of security safeguards for Personal Information, the CFL, Member Clubs and business partners will comply with all reporting and notification obligations.
We will retain Personal Information only for as long as reasonably necessary for the purposes set out above or for as long as required by law. In some circumstances we will anonymise your Personal Information (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes, in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
8. Your Access to Your Personal Information
We will give you access to Personal Information we retain about you in accordance with applicable law (EU citizens should see section 10, below, which more fully describes their rights and California residents should see section 11 with respect to their rights). We will make every reasonable effort to keep your Personal Information accurate and up-to-date. Upon your request, you shall be informed of the existence, and where possible, of the use and disclosure of your Personal Information. You may verify the accuracy and completeness of your Personal Information, and may request that it be amended, if appropriate. Simply send us an e-mail at email@example.com and we will look after your request.
Our services are not directed to, or intended for, children under 13 years of age. We may use age screening mechanisms to help us determine if a user is under the age of 13. However, if a parent or guardian of a child who is under 13 years of age discovers that Personal Information of such child has been submitted to CFL through the Services without the parent’s or guardian’s consent, CFL will use commercially reasonable measures to remove such Personal Information from CFL’s servers at the parent’s or guardian’s request. To request the removal of such Personal Information, CFL, the parent or guardian must contact CFL as set forth in section 14, and provide all information requested by CFL to assist it in identifying the Personal Information to be removed.
10. European Privacy Rights
In France, you are also entitled to provide us with your instructions as to the fate of your Personal Information after your death.
Legal bases for processing
The relevant legal bases for processing personal data for the purposes of GDPR are as follows:
Consent: means our processing of your personal data where you have signified your agreement by a statement or action for a specific purpose. Consent will only be valid if it is a freely given, specific, informed and unambiguous indication of what you want.
You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us. This will not affect any processing that is carried out before you withdraw your consent.
Legitimate interests: means our processing of your personal data where this is necessary for our legitimate interests or those of a third party, except where these interests are overridden by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. In this case, our legitimate interests are those that we have in:
- operating our apps and websites;
- providing the Services;
- sending you electronic marketing communications in respect of the Services, including where these are similar to those in which you have previously requested from us;
- detecting and preventing fraud and other criminal offences;
- ensuring the quality of, and improving, the Services;
- administering your account(s);
- responding to your queries and requests;
- communicating with you;
- record keeping, statistical analysis, internal reporting and research purposes;
- ensuring network and information security;
- notifying you about changes to our services;
- investigating any complaint you make;
- providing evidence in any dispute or anticipated dispute between you and us;
- analysing how our apps and website are being used;
- customising various aspects of our apps and website to improve your experience;
- understanding the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- business and disaster recovery (e.g. creating back-ups);
- lawful document retention/storage purposes;
- database management; and
- protecting the rights, property, and/or safety of us, our personnel and others.
Necessary for compliance with a legal obligation: means our processing of your personal data where this is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation that applies to us.
Necessary in connection with a contract: means our processing of your personal data where this is necessary for the performance of a contract with you, or in order to take steps at your request before entering into a contract, for example to deliver the Services to you.
The CFL and Member Clubs are based outside of the European Economic Area (together, with the United Kingdom, “EEA“) and so their collection and processing of your personal data may involve a transfer of information outside the EEA.
When transferring your personal data outside the EEA, we ensure that security measures and appropriate safeguards are put in place to protect the personal data and to ensure that all transfers comply with applicable data protection law.
Where we share your Personal Information with service providers or business partners based in the USA or other countries, we use other means of ensuring an adequate level of protection of personal data, such as the Standard Contractual Clauses issued by the European Commission.
11. California Residents’ Rights
CFL will, to the extent required by any applicable law, disclose, delete or take any other action with respect to any Personal Information relating to you that is collected by CFL. Specifically, if you are a resident of California and make such a request, CFL (and each third party to whom or which CFL transferred any Personal Information relating to you) will (a) disclose (i) the categories of any Personal Information relating to you that is collected by CFL, (ii) the categories of sources from whom or which such Personal Information is collected by CFL, (iii) the business or commercial purposes for CFL’s collecting such Personal Information, (iv) the categories of third parties to whom or which CFL transfers such Personal Information and (v) the specific pieces of such Personal Information collected by CFL, and (b) except in certain circumstances, delete such Personal Information. Note, however, that laws that apply to one category of individuals do not confer the same benefits on other individuals not covered by such particular law.
12. Third Party Links
Our Services may, from time to time, contain links to and from third parties. Please note that these websites have their own privacy notices and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these notices or for any personal data that may be collected through these websites. Please check the privacy notices of these other websites before you submit any personal data to them.
13. If You Fail to Provide Personal Information
Where we need to collect Personal Information by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you, and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example, to provide you with the Services). In this case, we may have to cancel the provision of the Service you have with us but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
14. Contact Us
Canadian Football League
50 Wellington Street East, 3rd Floor
Toronto, Ontario M5E 1C8
Tel: (416) 322-9650
Fax: (416) 322-9651
In this Cookies Policy:
- “CFL” means the Canadian Football League and its related companies, including CFL Enterprises L.P., CFL Enterprises G.P. Inc., CFL Holdings G.P. Inc., and CFL Holdings L.P., and CFL Ventures.
- “Member Clubs” means the member clubs of the Canadian Football League.
- “We”, “us” and “our” means the CFL and Member Clubs.
- “Services” means any products, services, events, websites, platforms, applications or programs made available by us.
This Cookies Policy applies to all of your interactions with us online, including all of our Services.
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files which are stored on the browser or hard drive of your computer or mobile device when you visit a webpage or application. A “session cookie” stores temporary information that is deleted when you close your web browser or turn off your computer or device. A “persistent cookie” enables the site to recognize when you return to it and remains stored on your computer until you delete it. These cookies work to make your experience browsing our site as smooth as possible by remembering your preferences the next time you visit the site. Cookies also allow us to improve our sites.
- Let you use our Services.
- Remember you and your preferences.
- Analyze usage of our Services.
- Personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic.
We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information that they may have about you.
The Services may use the following types of cookies:
- Essential cookies allow you to be able to experience the full functionality of our site. For example, these cookies make it easier to log-in to your CFL account.
- Performance cookies tell us how you use our site and help us to improve it. For example, these cookies count the number of visitors to our website and see how visitors move around when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our site works, for example, by ensuring that users find what they are looking for easily.
- Customizer or functionality cookies allow our site to remember you and your preferences, helping to customize your experience on our site. For example, these cookies keep track of whether you have voted in a poll.
- Targeting cookies record your visit to our Services, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make advertising displayed on our websites and websites belonging to third parties more relevant to your interests.
For more detailed information about the types of cookies we use, why, and how you can set your cookies preferences, please see our Cookies Centre (link).
|COOKIE TITLE / COOKIE NAME||PURPOSE|
|ad_pushdown_stay_minimized||This cookie notes if you’ve already seen a “pushdown” ad at full size, minimizing it for subsequent page views.|
|cfl-poll-*||This cookie tracks if you’ve already voted in a poll, showing you the results instead of the poll options on subsequent page views.|
|cfl-user, laravel_session, remember_web_*||These cookies keep you logged in to a website that allow registration, such as CFL Pick ‘Em, TSN CFL Fantasy and Predict The Pick.|
|cfl-has-seen-*||These cookies keep track of if you’ve already seen a tutorial screen for a website like TSN CFL Fantasy so you’re not repeatedly prompted to view them.|
* indicates that this cookie name may also include a set of varying numbers
- Google DoubleClick For Publishers
- Facebook Publishers
- Genius Sports
Most of our cookies are kept for a relatively short time duration and only as long as reasonably necessary for their purposes. The only exception is persistent cookies, which are kept on your device until they are deleted.
How do you change cookie preferences or block cookies?
You can customize your cookies settings using our Cookies Centre (link).
In addition, within your browser, you can choose whether you wish to accept cookies or not. Different browsers make different controls available to you. Generally, your browser’s settings or “Help” function will let you accept, refuse or delete cookies. Each browser’s website should contain instructions on how you can do this. If you delete or refuse certain cookies, please be aware that you may lose some of the functionality of our websites.
Other online analytics tools and partners
We use Google Analytics to better understand your use of our website. Google Analytics collects information on user behaviour on our website, which includes how many times a user visits our website, what pages they visit, and where they were referred from. Advertising identifiers for mobile devices are also collected. Google may use the data collected for its own purposes, including to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
To learn more about how Google uses data when you visit websites using Google Analytics, click here. You can deactivate the Google Analytics function with a browser add-on, which you can download here.
Facebook Pixel [NTD: only required if CFL uses FB Pixel]
We use Facebook Pixel to better understand your use of our website. Facebook Pixel collects information on user behaviour on our website, which includes how many times a user visits our website, what pages they visit, and where they were referred from. Facebook uses the data collected through cookies to track and examine the use of the website, to prepare reports on its activities, and share them with other Facebook services. Advertising identifiers for mobile devices (such as Android and iOS Advertising Identifiers) are also collected. Facebook may provide us with information associated with your Facebook account, such as your likes, location and age. Facebook may use the data collected on the websites to contextualize and personalize the ads on its own advertising network.
Learn more about how to limit the data Facebook Pixel shares and uses about you here. You can read more about how the Facebook Pixel works from Facebook’s Data Policy (see “Information from partners”).
Changes to this Cookies Policy
We may update this Policy from time to time. If we make significant changes we will let you know but please regularly check this Policy to ensure you are aware of the most updated version.
This Cookies Policy was last updated on n, 2023.