Manager, Media Sales & Global Partnerships
Position Title: Manager, Media Sales & Global Partnerships
Department: Global Partnerships
Direct Manager: Associate Vice President, Global Partnerships
Date: February 2023
Company Description :
The Canadian Football League is Canada’s home for professional football. With over a century of rich history and nine member teams across the nation, the CFL provides world-class entertainment and excitement to a passionate and dedicated fan base. A season-long journey of unforgettable moments and must-see-TV broadcasts culminates in Canada’s largest single-day sporting event – the Grey Cup, where the newly crowned champions earn the right to hoist the iconic emblem of Canadian football.
The CFL leads a global movement to grow and modernize the game. The league is committed to a global vision as it connects with fans around the world. It is transforming into a digital-first sports league through an innovative, first-of its-kind partnership with Genius Sports to maximize fan engagement through data analytics, technological advances and sports betting.
Just as important as its industry-leading operations, the CFL proudly champions the values on which Canada was built – unity, diversity, inclusion, strength and service to the community. The league is supportive of all peoples, cultures and backgrounds, offering a respectful and inclusive working and playing environment, centred on acceptance and understanding. The CFL’s successes are measured not only on the field and within its ranks, but also in its unparalleled impact in affecting positive change and bettering Canadian communities and lives.
The Manager, Media Sales & Global Partnerships will be responsible for cultivating new relationships with brands and advertising agencies and must be seen as a problem-solver who is consistently focused on possibilities versus limitations, along with employing a positive, collaborative approach to all negotiations across a variety of different internal and external stakeholders. Primarily tasked with securing broadcast and digital advertising revenue for CFL Ventures, the successful candidate will be adept at selling and servicing image congruent regional and national brands. The position requires the ability to establish and maintain strong media buying relationships at advertising agencies, an intense desire to learn and succeed. The incumbent has a proven track record in television, media and/or digital
• Proactively prospect, qualify, grow, and maintain agency and client account list.
• Negotiate Media and Digital media deals across CFL Ventures national and regional platforms.
• Present CFL Ventures products and initiatives to Media Buyers, Planners and Clients on an on-going basis.
• Oversee all stewardship of multiple advertising agencies account groups.
• Identify and develop media sales opportunities, leveraging all CFL Media & CFL Ventures assets.
• Assist AVP, Global Partnerships on budget forecast analysis and projections.
• Understand client needs and develop advertising programs that exceed their expectations.
• Work in conjunction with CFL Marketing, Content and Global Partnerships to develop and maintain customized sales proposals.
• Responsible for maintaining and evaluating current revenue along with anticipated revenue growth.
• Build and maintain strong relationships with key account personnel on all levels of agency: Buying and Planning.
• Cultivate strategic client-side relationships to secure revenue growth opportunities and build credibility in the marketplace.
• Identify, understand and communicate trends within client markets and industries.
Special Skills / Abilities Required:
• Self-starter, curious and driven to excel.
• Hunter mindset, with the ability to drive the sales cycle from initial prospect engagement through to contract negotiation and campaign execution.
• Working knowledge of key marketing concepts and functions including Media (TV, Radio, Print, Digital, Mobile); brand strategy and positioning; marketing metrics (broadcast ratings, research in brand and promotion tracking).
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple tasks concurrently.
• A creative thinker, strategic seller with exceptional interpersonal skills.
• A compelling communicator and presenter with strong written and verbal skills.
Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in business/commerce/marketing or equivalent experience.
• Combination of 3+ years in a marketing and/or business development role (experience in sports, entertainment, digital media and business development is preferred; broadcast and digital media sales experience within the sports and entertainment industry is a plus).
• Established relationships with TV & Digital agency stakeholders and client-direct personnel, is preferred.
Chief Commercial Officer
AVP Global Partnerships
Global Partnerships Team
• Must be able to travel and stay in Playoff & Grey Cup host cities during the month of November.
• Must be able to travel and stay in other locations where events are being held.
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
CFL League Office is in Toronto. This role can be performed on a hybrid or remote basis.
If interested, please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted
We are working to create a more diverse and inclusive work environment and welcome applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people living with disabilities and people identifying as LGBTQ2S+.