Vice President, Finance (12 month contract)
Position Title: Vice President, Finance (12 month contract)
Direct Manager: Commissioner
Date: October 2023
Company Description :
The Canadian Football League is Canada’s home for professional football. With over a century of rich history and nine member teams across the nation, the CFL provides world-class entertainment and excitement to a passionate and dedicated fan base. A season-long journey of unforgettable moments and must-see-TV broadcasts culminates in Canada’s largest single-day sporting event – the Grey Cup, where the newly crowned champions earn the right to hoist the iconic emblem of Canadian football.
The CFL leads a global movement to grow and modernize the game. The league is committed to a global vision as it connects with fans around the world. It is transforming into a digital-first sports league through an innovative, first-of-its-kind partnership with Genius Sports to maximize fan engagement through data analytics, technological advances, and sports betting.
Just as important as its industry-leading operations, the CFL proudly champions the values on which Canada was built – unity, diversity, inclusion, strength, and service to the community. The league is supportive of all peoples, cultures, and backgrounds, offering a respectful and inclusive working and playing environment, centered on acceptance and understanding. The CFL’s successes are measured not only on the field and within its ranks, but also in its unparalleled impact in affecting positive change and bettering Canadian communities and lives.
As Vice President, Finance, you will participate in Lead Governor, Management Council and Board Meetings and will work closely with the Audit & Finance Committee. The incumbent will work with all functional areas and member club Finance leads. They will lead the league office finance team and will balance the interests of the league office, owners, players, sponsors, partners and other stakeholders.
This position requires a strategic leader, willing to play a hands-on role in the league office finance function including standardized, insightful financial modeling to help inform decisions. The Vice President, Finance will continue to enhance the efficiency, transparency and consistency of financial processes to support the long-term health of the business. The ideal candidate has a proven record of success in a senior finance role, has worked effectively with a Board of Directors, is forward-thinking, energetic and thrives in a fast-paced environment.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Oversees financial forecasting and analysis, cash flow and P&L, budget preparation, monthly reporting, taxes and the preparation of audited financial statements.
• Sets and achieves financial targets; measures and tracks performance, provides analysis and insights and makes decisions based on sound financial criteria.
• Is the subject matter expert on all financial matters of the CFL league office. Works closely with the Audit & Finance Committee and communicates with the Board, as appropriate.
• Helps develop and execute the annual business plan aligned to the vision and long-term strategy then uses this to set the direction and management of league office finance activities.
• Leads a variety of financial projects within the League Office to help advance business goals.
• Manages various external relationships including banking and insurance (general liability and D&O), understands and mitigates the financial risk profile and plays a key role in business decisions.
• Provides, data and insights to support and/or monitor corporate initiatives.
• Directs and oversees general accounting, accounts payable and accounts receivable, payroll and benefits.
• Oversees the procedures and systems necessary to maintain proper records and to ensure adequate accounting controls and services.
• Oversees finance related matters with the CFL Member Clubs including the reporting of results by the Member Clubs and the related application of CFL league-wide programs.
• Monitors internal and external factors which could impact financial goals; proactively recommends options and takes steps to maintain the health and long-term success of the business.
• Primary liaison to auditors and tax advisors; guides completion of annual audit and tax returns, investigates findings and recommends action.
• Leads financial modeling and analysis and provides insights related to business integration, acquisitions and divestitures.
• Inspires the Finance team by setting clear expectations, providing ongoing coaching, performance feedback and development opportunities for team members.
• Ensures control systems preserve company assets and accurately report financial results.
• Manages key internal and external relationships such as EXCO, Lead Governors, Management Council, Member Club Finance leads, Audit & Finance Committee, Insurance and Banking partners.
• Works closely with all departments to provide the financial support, information, analytics and insights to help make evidence-based business decisions.
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Experience):
• 10 – 15 years of progressive business experience in Finance; with at least five years leading a team
• An undergraduate or advanced degree and professional designation (CPA or MBA) is required
• Collaborative, assertive leader able to make principled decisions under pressure, and in the face of competing points of view
• Expert communicator with strong influencing skills and the ability to foster strong business relationships based on win/win solutions and a focus on the long-term health of the business
• Confidently handles ambiguity and uncertainty and deftly balances the demands of multiple stakeholders in a fast-paced environment
• Well-honed EQ with demonstrated diplomacy, negotiation, decision-making and conflict resolution skills
• Strategic thinker who understands the business, is resourceful and takes a pragmatic, “roll up the sleeves” approach to successfully deliver
• Has taken a company to new levels of performance during times of significant change, adversity and/or business growth in a constrained-budget environment
• Passion for or interest in professional sports, especially football is considered an asset
• Tenacious, energetic, collaborative, able to inspire others to perform at their best
Other Key Relationships:
Senior Leadership/Executive Team (EXCO)
League Office employees
Member Club Finance leads
CFL Member Club Governors and Presidents
Bank, Insurance & Audit Partners
Audit & Finance Committee
The CFL League Office is in Toronto. All candidates must be willing and able to attend the office at least two days per week. In addition, all employees will be required to attend meetings or other business events at the league office or other venues as business needs dictate.
If interested, please submit resume to email@example.com. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted
We are working to create a more diverse and inclusive work environment and welcome applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people living with disabilities and people identifying as LGBTQ2S+.