November 12, 2005

Grey Cup Memories: 1958

1958 – Winnipeg Blue Bombers 35, Hamilton Tiger-Cats 28

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Winnipeg Blue Bombers met again for Canadian football supremacy. The Bombers turned the tables on the Tiger-Cats this time, winning their first Grey Cup since 1941.

The Bombers needed a comeback effort, overcoming three deficits to take the title. The Tiger-Cats jumped out to a 14-0 lead. Gerry McDougall scored on Hamilton's initial drive on a 10-yard run. Ralph Goldston then picked up a fumble by Winnipeg's Jimmy Van Pelt and raced 65 yards for another touchdown.

Goldston would be ejected later in the game for throwing a punch to the face of Leo Lewis just before the final play of the first half.

Winnipeg responded when Van Pelt, after handing the ball off to Lewis, caught a pass from Lewis, and with a Ticat holding onto his leg got over the line for Bombers first touchdown.

Van Pelt booted two field goals to pull Winnipeg within 14-13. On the final play of half, Cam Fraser's punt from the Hamilton 13 was blocked by Norm Rauhaus who recovered the ball in the end zone for a touchdown on the final play of the second quarter. Rather than trailing at halftime, the Bombers led 20-14.

Ron Howell got the lead back for the Tiger-Cats on his first of two touchdowns in the second half, catching a 12-yard pass from Bernie Faloney. Winnipeg's Charlie Shepard responded six minutes later with a major, putting the Bombers in front once again.

The Tiger-Cats went up 28-27 at the end of the third quarter when Howell caught a 36-yard pass from Faloney.

Winnipeg's winning touchdown came in the final quarter when Van Pelt sneaked over for his second major. Shepard booted a single, and the Bombers held on to victory.

Rauhaus made an interception that may have saved the day for Winnipeg late in the fourth quarter. With the Tiger-Cats on the Winnipeg 22 and Faloney set to throw, his arm was hit by Herb Gray. The ball fell into the arms of Rauhaus to end the Hamilton threat. Kenny Ploen also had a late interception to secure the win for the Bombers.

Van Pelt set a then Grey Cup record with 22 points.

Tiger-Cats head coach Jim Trimble ruffled a few Bombers with his prediction of a Hamilton win. This point was not lost on the celebrating Bombers after the game. “Trimble's big mouth gave us incentive to win,&rdquo said Winnipeg's Bob Hobert.