- 2019 DRAFT
MONTREAL — It appears Duron Carter‘s list of potential landing spots is down to two teams.
The Montreal Alouettes have reportedly taken themselves out of the mix, as Mike Sherman has told TSN 690’s Rick Moffat the team will no longer pursue the recently-released receiver.
Carter, 27, was released Saturday in a shocking move by the Saskatchewan Roughriders. The versatile receiver, who also spent time at defensive back and recorded two interception return touchdowns as a defender, was considered one of the CFL’s biggest stars.
It was initially reported that the BC Lions, Toronto Argonauts and Hamilton Tiger-Cats were also interested in his services, but TSN’s Farhan Lalji reported recently that the Lions were out of the running for this season.
— Rick Moffat (@RickMoffat) August 15, 2018
If the reports are accurate, that would leave Toronto and Hamilton as the two most likely landing spots for Carter, should the dynamic pass-catcher find a new team in 2018.
Despite playing only a couple of games at receiver, Carter recorded 111 receiving yards and a touchdown on eight receptions this season, including a 41-yard score in Week 8 in his return to the Riders’ offence.
Carter initially raised suspicion online when he sent a cryptic Tweet, suggesting his time in Riderville was over. The Riders confirmed the move 10 minutes later.
Last season, his first with the Riders, Carter piled up 1,043 yards on 73 receptions while scoring eight touchdowns, helping the resurgent Riders win 10 games and reach the Eastern Final.
While Carter’s talent is undeniable, the receiver has earned a reputation for some of his off-field antics. Saturday marked the second time in his career he was released after he was previously let go by the Als following a practice altercation. CFL.ca’s Jamie Nye, meanwhile, says Carter’s lack of effort showed at times throughout 2018, both in practice and during games.