The Canadian Press
TORONTO — The Ottawa REDBLACKS won’t be able to rely on Lewis Ward for the remainder of the season after the team announced on Tuesday their kicker has suffered a torn pectoral muscle.
Meanwhile in Toronto the Argonauts have extended general manager Michael “Pinball” Clemons and special teams coordinator Mickey Donovan, just a few days after the team reached its first 11-1 start in franchise history.
The Edmonton Elks, Saskatchewan Roughriders and BC Lions also made roster moves in preparation for the final stretch of the season.
To get you up to date with all the news and notes from Week 16, here’s this week’s Checking Down:
Jump to team:
|BC | Calgary | Edmonton | Saskatchewan | Winnipeg | Hamilton | Toronto | Ottawa | Montreal|
– BC has a chance to become the next team in the CFL to clinch a spot in the playoffs this weekend. With a win over the Edmonton Elks (or a Calgary Stampeders loss against the Montreal Alouettes) the Lions will punch their ticket to the post-season (CFL.ca).
– Ka’Deem Carey has rushed for 184 yards in the two games since his return from injury and features in this week’s edition of Fantasy Sleepers brought to you by CFL.ca’s Brandon C. Williams (CFL.ca).
"We've got to find a way to win this week's game and take it from there."
— Calgary Stampeders (@calstampeders) September 19, 2023
– Edmonton announced on Monday the signings of six American players, including defensive lineman Emeke Egbule, wide receivers Malik Flowers and Randy Satterfield, defensive backs Ja’Von Hicks and Josh Nurse, alongside offensive lineman BJ Wilson (CFL.ca).
— Edmonton Elks (@GoElks) September 20, 2023
– The Saskatchewan Roughriders have signed Global defensive lineman Habakkuk Baldonado and American defensive back William Poole III, the team announced on Monday (CFL.ca).
"This one is definitely important.”
Roughriders ready for road resurgence versus REDBLACKS.
— Saskatchewan Roughriders (@sskroughriders) September 20, 2023
WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS
– Ed Tait recaps the loss to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats as the Blue Bombers enter their bye week having dropped two out of the last three games (BlueBombers.com).
– The Bombers lead over the Lions in the West Division is down to half a game as they enter their bye looking to stay consistent for the final stretch of the season (Ted Wyman, The Winnipeg Sun)
"The most important thing now is for the guys to get on their break, forget about it and get some rest."
— Winnipeg Blue Bombers (@Wpg_BlueBombers) September 16, 2023
– CFL’ca’s Pat Steinberg writes about the Hamilton Tiger-Cats closing the gap with wins in three of their last four and with Montreal sustaining a fourth consecutive loss over the weekend, as both teams sit 6-7 and are tied for second in the East Division (CFL.ca).
— Hamilton Tiger-Cats (@Ticats) September 19, 2023
– The Toronto Argonauts have extended the contract of general manager Michael “Pinball” Clemons, the team announced on Wednesday (CFL.ca).
– The Toronto Argonauts Football Club announced on Tuesday that the team has extended the contract of special teams coordinator Mickey Donovan (CFL.ca).
— Toronto Argonauts (@TorontoArgos) September 19, 2023
– REDBLACKS’ head coach Bob Dyce has no regrets about his team’s loss to the BC Lions on Saturday (TSN.ca).
– Austin Mack became the first player in the CFL to reach 1,000 receiving yards this season. Check out who are Mack’s top three football receivers of all time (Joey Alfieri, MontrealAlouettes.com).
– Is Tyson Philpot ready to break out for the Alouettes after catching nine passes for 105 yards and his first touchdown of the season against the Argos? (Herb Zurkowsky, Montreal Gazette).
— Alouettes de Montréal (@MTLAlouettes) September 18, 2023