TORONTO — James Franklin will start at quarterback for the Toronto Argonauts against the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
Stampeders running back Ka’Deem Carey is out for the season with a broken arm.
Plus, All-Star defensive back Delvin Breaux returned to practice this week in Hamilton.
The latest news and notes from Week 16 in this week’s Checking Down:
Jump to team:
|BC | Calgary | Edmonton | Saskatchewan | Winnipeg | Hamilton | Toronto | Ottawa | Montreal|
– Odell Willis became just the 12th player in CFL history to reach 100 sacks and the veteran defensive lineman took some time to reflect on his accomplishment (Matt Baker, BCLions.com).
– It’s been nearly eight years since Ricky Ray was traded to Toronto, but on Friday night, the legendary quarterback took his rightful spot on the Eskimos’ Ring of Honour (Chris O’Leary, CFL.ca).
– Eskimos offensive lineman Matthew O’Donnell was honoured with the 2019 David Boone Award in recognition of his outstanding contributions to the community on Tuesday (Esks.com).
– Linebacker Jovan Santos-Knox returned to practice this week for the first time since June but still has one game left on six-game injured list (Dave Campbell, 630CHED).
– Stampeders head coach Dave Dickenson announced on Tuesday that running back Ka’Deem Carey is out for the rest of the 2019 season due to a broken arm (CFL.ca).
– Timing is important in the CFL, and the Stamps are hot as the right time after extending their winning streak. More in the Nissan Titan Power Rankings (CFL.ca).
– The Stamps won their fourth straight game on Friday night but despite the victory, the defending Grey Cup champions know there’s still a lot to work on (Chris O’Leary, CFL.ca).
– He hasn’t been in town for too long since returning to the Roughriders but receiver Jordan Williams-Lambert is starting to get comfortable with the playbook in Saskatchewan (Riderville.com).
– Offensive lineman Brendon LaBatte practiced with the team on Tuesday for the first time since training camp (Claire Hanna, CTV Regina).
– DE Charleston Hughes, WR Justin McInnis, WR Cory Watson and DT Zack Evans all returned to practice Tuesday (Claire Hannah, CTV Regina).
WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS
– Defensive end Jackson Jeffcoat has finished his time on the six-game injured list and is cleared to return to action but head coach Mike O’Shea said “we’ll see” when asked if he’ll suit up on Friday (Ed Tait, BlueBombers.com).
– Running back Andrew Harris was named one of the CFL’s Shaw Top Performers after Week 15 (CFL.ca).
– In roster news, the Bombers added QB Trevor Knight, DE Meffy Koloamatangi, WR Jawill Davis, DE David Kenney, DB Trey Johnson and RB Jordan Robinson to the team’s practice roster on Tuesday (BlueBombers.com).
– The Tiger-Cats will have their work cut out for them against the West-leading Wnnipeg Blue Bombers as they eye sweeping the season series (CFL.ca).
– Frankie Williams returns punt and kickoffs, makes interceptions, knockdowns and tackles and the Ticat is full of confidence, not arrogance (Steve Milton, The Hamilton Spectator).
– Defensive back Tunde Adeleke was at practice on Tuesday and head coach Orlondo Steinauer said he is day to day after missing last week’s game against Edmonton (Kyle Melo, TSN1150).
– The Argonauts announced that Franklin will start behind centre on Saturday against the Roughriders (CFL.ca).
– General manager Marcel Desjardins reflected on the season so far saying ‘to an extent we miscalculated our strength at QB‘ (TSN1200).
– LB Jerod Fernandez took first-team reps this week for the REDBLACKS and could be back in the lineup this weekend (Tim Baines, Postmedia).
– It was the biggest comeback in Montreal Alouettes history and it started with a missed field goal (Matthew Cauz, CFL.ca).
– Adams Jr. will not appeal his suspension, accepting his punishment and is looking ahead as his return in Week 17 (John Lu, TSN).
– Tennis superstar Bianca Andreescu was in attendance at the Alouettes game and showed love for Montreal (CFL.ca).
– In roster news, the Alouettes added WR Mario Alford, QB Layton Rabb, DT Michael Sanelli, K Ryan Santoso, WR Jamill Smith and DT Mychealon Thomas to the team’s practice roster on Tuesday (MontrealAlouettes.com).