TORONTO — With free agency around the corner, teams across the league have started to lock up some of their players with expiring contracts.
The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have inked a few Canadians this week while the REDBLACKS have signed a trio of defenders.
Pending free agent quarterback Nick Arbuckle has completed his tour of Ottawa.
Plus, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers have promoted Buck Pierce to offensive coordinator.
The latest news and notes from the off-season in this week’s Checking Down:
Jump to team:
|BC | Calgary | Edmonton | Saskatchewan | Winnipeg | Hamilton | Toronto | Ottawa | Montreal|
– The Edmonton Eskimos finalized their coaching staff for the 2020 season on Tuesday (CFL.ca).
– Solomon Elimimian was a force in 2019 and according to CFL.ca’s MMQB, there’s still plenty left in the tank for the veteran linebacker (Pat Steinberg, CFL.ca).
– After playing injured in the Western Final last year, Cody Fajardo says he’s finally completely healed from the oblique injury (CBC.ca).
– In roster news, the Riders inked A.C. Leonard to a two-year contract on Wednesday (CFL.ca).
WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS
– The Bombers announced their coaching staff for the 2020 season, including the promotion of Buck Pierce to offensive coordinator (CFL.ca).
– With his first CFL season behind him, Thiadric Hansen has worked hard to be a good example for Global players who aspire to play in the league (Kristina Costabile, CFL.ca).
– According to a report from TSN’s Dave Naylor, Matt Nichols is ‘upset’ that the Bombers are prioritizing signing Zach Collaros to a new contract (TSN.ca).
– He signed a new contract extension earlier this month and DL Ted Laurent had the full support from his family in Montreal to remain in Hamilton (Louie B., Ticats.ca).
– According to a report from 3DownNation‘s John Hodge, the Argos are set to announce their coordinators for the 2020 season (CFL.ca).
– The Argos have signed American defensive back Stanley Jean-Baptiste through the 2022 season (Argonauts.ca).
– In more roster news, Toronto also signed American DL Whitney Richardson and American DB Kadeem Satchell (Argonauts.ca).
– CFL.ca’s Marshall Ferguson breaks down what went wrong for the Ottawa REDBLACKS in 2019 and how a new head coach could turn the team’s fortunes around (Marshall Ferguson, CFL.ca).
– The team also signed American defensive back Sherrod Baltimore and Canadian fullback Anthony Gosselin for 2020 (CFL.ca).
– Nick Arbuckle returned from his visit to Ottawa on Tuesday. He met with all levels of the organization (ownership, coaches, equipment staff, etc.) and had an extensive tour of the city but no contract negotiations have begun (Farhan Lalji, TSN).
– Montreal also inked returner Mario Alford to a one-year extension (CFL.ca).